[Rfu-station] Phone Interface Issues

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 10:50:53 CDT 2007

This message is going to RFU-tech, for documentation and action, and to
the RFU-station list so that everyone will know about the problems that
a few of us keep creating for everyone else...

If you'd like to discuss this -- or rat on whoever you know is messing
with the studio wiring -- please send a message to RFU-tech at ucimc.org

We've had several recent reports of trouble with the phone interface.

Last week, it was reported that the board operator could answer the
phone and hear the call-in, but then the system would hang up on the
person when trying to put them on air.

At the RFU meeting last night, several people reported hearing music
over the channel that operates the phone interface, but could apparently
still hear the caller.

I suspect that one of those anonymous people who we've repeatedly asked
to quit messing with the studio wiring has mistakenly hooked up some of
the phone interface's connection to the wrong terminals after moving
things around for whatever useless reason they thought they needed to do
that.

We also had several more instances of the transmitter communication
cable being knocked loose, because people have been digging around
behind the computers in the studio.

If you need a connection for anything and you can't do it from the
connections provided on top of the studio desk, PLEASE ask for RFU-Tech
to provide a suitable connection on top of the studio desk.

You should NOT be messing with the wiring to either the computers or
where cables plug into the board itself.

Due to the constant hooking and unhooking of cables and wires -- even
when it's done correctly -- we are starting to experience wear and tear
on connections that are causing more problems, especially with the sound
board. This is most likely the reason we are having constant problems
with CD2. Connectors on all the studio equipment are designing for ONLY
occasional replugging. If you are plugging into these connections
constantly because you have to move things around every time you do your
show, then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!

Please consult with RFU-tech to get proper connectiosn via dedicated
cables provides. Do NOT keep moving wiring and cables around just so you
can do your show. This is NOT permitted!

If this sort of abuse of the studio equipment continues, then I WILL
propose that we install video in the studio in order to get to the
bottom of whoever it is who is the problem, because they can't follow
this simple request.

I really hate to take this sort of tone. Most of you are not the problem
here, but we all need to do a better job of immediately reporting
problems with the studio to RFU-tech. That way we'll track down and
discover who is creating the problems that the rest of us are constantly
dealing with -- and then we'll deal with this person.

Now that all programming groups are getting email, there is no excuse
for this to continue.This is very unjust to the great majority of RFU
members who do not mess with the wiring, but are constantly finding
evidence of the abusive handling of the equipment by one or a few
individuals who think they know what they are doing when they start
moving wires and cables around, but obviously do NOT.
Mike Lehman