[Rfu-station] Notes from Finance Meeting

RANDALL R HAWKINS lrhawkins at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 3 10:46:31 CDT 2007

  Wed 7:30 P.M Aug 29, 2007

  Present at RFU finance meeting
  Isaac Hawkins
  Randy Hawkins
  Judah Hawkins
  Dan Blah
  Mike Lehman
  Matt Delgado
  Jennine Crucat
  Andrew Missel
  Lavana Hawkins

  Financial Status
  We have enough money to pay expenses to the end of the year, including the production proposal, phone bill, copy write fees, and money paid to IMC for cost of the space used.
  Approved the production proposal

  To cover the cost of raising a tower, and related expenses we need to raise $24,000. We will be launching a fundraising campaign to raise this money.

  The CFECI grant proposal to help with cost of raising the tower is in good shape. This is the type of project that the foundation likes to give money to. Leslie with Books For Prisoners, who has written some successful grants, and Dan are working  to prepare the grant. There has been a recent audit, which is helpful to receive the grant. And Dan will be able to have all of the financial reports and papers to turn in with the proposal for it to be well considered. We will not know until the end of November though.
  Fund Raising

   lowering the cost of the tower, installation, and related expenses
   Designing a logo for this fundraising campaign. Matt will begin writing an announcement of a contest to design a logo for this campaign. This will be posted in the near future, with a deadline of two weeks. In the meantime, we are proceeding with projects that will use this logo once we have it.
   Underwriting-- We still need a person to be in charge of spearheading this effort. Anyone involved with arranging the installation of the tower will always mention it (concrete), but other businesses may also be interested in having their name mentioned on the air as a donor to the tower effort.
   Looking into other grants – Randy Hawkins will attend the IMC finance meeting where there are people who are familiar with writing grants. He will begin looking into what is available.
   A Splash page for rfu’s website—Dan Blah will put up a splash page for the fundraising campaign on the website. We want this to be what people can see easiest when they come to the website. This page will eventually have a link for all of the different fundraising activities and include the campaign logo. In the meantime, Dan will get up what can be done now.
   A brochure – Lavana will begin working on a brochure describing all of the ways that people can donate to RFU. This will also include the logo.
   Selling T-shirts – Mike has been helping get the silk screen shop set up to do the t-shirts. Once we have the t-shirts, they will be sold on the website and at the events being planned and advertised in the brochure.
   Attending the Farmer’s Market—We want to begin attending the Farmer’s Market again. This will be mentioned at the general meeting, so that lots of people can have the opportunity to help with this. A spot in the production room will be set aside for all materials needed at the booth to be stored at. Dan will make a necessary repair so that we can do live broadcasts from the market.   At the Farmer’s Market we will acquaint people with the rfu and IMC, sell t-shirts, accept donations, talk about underwriting opportunities, advertise the IMCfest, Dance Day, Trivia nights, and Garage Sale.
  Volunteers should state if they are familiar with doing a live on site broadcast so that we can match experienced people with new ones.

   Trivia Nights at area bars—Andrew, Jennine, and Matt will coordinate four events at area bars. These will be publicized on the radio show, in the brochure, at the web site and in fliers. These events will also be used to publicize the IMCfest and All Day Dance Event.
   Garage Sale—It was decided that a garage sale of donated electronics equipment would better serve rfu if it was actually an IMC event. So Dan will take this to the steering committee of the IMC. The sale will be held at the IMC. Everyone can watch for opportunities to help with this event. There will be drop off days and times as well as the sale to actually run, and advertising to be done. All of this will take many hands. Lavana will not be at the IMC steering committee meeting but she is planning on working closely with this event. This will be publicized in the fund raising brochure, on the web site and in PSAs. The garage sale will raise money for the entire IMC, and the IMC will divide those funds up in useful ways. A portion will be available for this rfu fund raising effort
   All Day Dance Event – Jennine and Andrew will begin working on an All Day Dance event. The first thing to do is to reserve the space at the IMC for the event. They will then arrange with many area dance instructors to teach dance classes during the day, and finally in the evening will be a large dance party. For those who buy lessons during the day- cost at the evening dance party is less. This will be publicized in the fund raising brochure, on the web site and in PSAs.
  And we ate a really scrumptious cake.
  Notes taken by Lavana Hawkins