[Rfu-station] FCC seeking comments on future of LPFM - comments due by this evening

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Mon Apr 7 14:34:50 CDT 2008

I had intended to forward this note earlier, but it slipped by the
wayside.

The FCC, which regulates broadcasting in the United States, and
grants WRFU its license, is proposing some rule changes that could
potentially aid the development and stability of LPFM stations. They
are seeking comments from the public - due today - on how they should
proceed. I'll be submitting comments myself, but invite others to
also submit their own. The deadline is midnight eastern time - 11pm
central. I'll forward my comments once complete. In the meantime,
here's some guidance from the Prometheus Radio Project:

Greetings from the Prometheus Radio Project!

The Federal Communications Commission is trying their best to protect
LPFM stations by issuing new rules that would offer LPFMs more
stability on the FM dial!  Yup, as it stands now, your station could
be kicked off the air if a full power stations wants your
frequency.   Sound familiar?  Most LPFM stations are faced with some
version of this situation--encroachment--which ranges from mild to dire.

You can comment to the FCC here:
Comments are due MONDAY APRIL 7!!!
http://tinyurl.com/34ft39
or here:
http://prometheusradio.org/take_action/fcc_comments/
save_our_stations.html

The FCC recently took up these issues in a proceeding on LPFM-- new
and proposed rules which have very important implications for LPFM
stations like yours.  In fact, they could save your station if you're
faced with encroachment--when a full power station wants your
frequency!  The future of LPFM and your station depends on you making
your voice heard at the FCC!

Comments are due MONDAY APRIL 7!!!

Comment here:
http://tinyurl.com/34ft39
or here:
http://prometheusradio.org/take_action/fcc_comments/
save_our_stations.html

We'll be happy to go over the (many) issues taken up in the
rulemaking--there's lots of good info on our site.  We've got
template text up that you can just click to submit if you're short on
time--but it's of course better & more effective to speak to any or
all of the following in your comment:

* What important local service does your station provide that would
be unavailable otherwise?
* What investment in volunteer hours (and money) have you and your
community  poured into the station over the years?
* Do you think full power stations should be able to run ramshod over
LPFMs to gain (even more) market share?  or should LPFMs have
protection for their spots on the dial?  Should full power stations
be required to assist LPFMs technically and financially when they
have to move because of encroachment?
* How will your LPFM benefit from the new and proposed rules?

Comment here:
http://tinyurl.com/34ft39
or here:
http://prometheusradio.org/take_action/fcc_comments/
save_our_stations.html

The more the FCC hears the stories of folks like yourself during the
next month, the better all of our chances are of convincing them that
they've done the right thing by concluding that LPFM stations' spots
on the dial should be protected.  Many will be filing comments
against LPFM protections, and the NAB is ready to battle expanded and
protected LPFM, so it's crucial that you make your voice heard!  Feel
free to forward this email to other people whose comments you think
will also make a difference.

electromagnetically yours,

Prometheus Radio Project

want more info?  Contact Kate, katharan at prometheusradio.org or (215)
727-9620 x523.  We're happy to answer questions and talk you through
your comments!

Andrew Ó Baoill
Station Manager
WRFU-LP, Urbana 104.5FM