[Rfu-station] Meeting notes 2008-03-04

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Wed Mar 5 13:52:28 CST 2008

Notes from our WRFU member meeting on March 4, 2008.

Small attendance, but we got some important tasks completed. Please
note the  CD moving/pizza party this Saturday at noon (and let me
know if you'll be there).

Introductions
- 6 people present: Andrew (A Critical Ear), Laura (Friction Radio),
Tom (11th Indian), Dominique (Habari Connections / Rising Star
Productions), Matt (Nomadic Coral Reef), Nick (Lolaka ya Africa /
Sabaah Nuur)

Working Group Issues:
No working groups had representatives at the meeting. We did,
however, cover a number of items that relate to various groups - if
you're with one of the active groups please note the items that may
require action or response by your group.

Membership and Training
- Laura (Friction Radio) and Mike (Extensions), both on Monday
evenings, have lost their group partners and want to merge their
programming groups. Programming group will need to examine this request.
- Dominique/Habari Connection. Interested in extending their slot or
getting a second slot during the week.
- Tom/11th Indian. At a recent meeting we approved moving this show
to Wednesday evenings. However, the show is actually airing 6-7pm,
not 5-6 as may have been erroneously stated at the meeting, and as is
listed in our online schedule. The website, and programming group
records, should me amended to reflect this fact.

Fundraising
- Andrew reports on current financial situation. We have about $5,600
on hand, at least $900 of which will be required for running expenses
through to the end of September (when we renew membership dues). We
will also shortly receive a $2k donation. This means we have in the
region of $6,700 that can be devoted to our permanent tower solution.
- Tower project: Andrew outlines some information about our options
(on-site tower v off-site leasing). Andrew will be talking with Andy
Gunn of Prometheus later this week to get information about costs and
technical aspects of both options.

Music Library - Several crates of CDs have been transferred to
cardboard boxes and moved to the south side of the IMC, beside the
wheelchair access ramp. Several of those present committed to moving
further crates today and during the week.
- We will have a CD moving party this Saturday at midday. Please take
part if you can. We'll have pizza and soda to make the process more fun.

Automation
- Problems with access to automation system: Several people are
having difficulties accessing the automation system remotely (Gary,
for whom SSH currently isn't working, and Ray who hasn't been given a
password/login to access the system, Laura hasn't been able to make
contact with others in automation group). We will get instructions
(from Dan?) and have Laura/Ray work on building a newly active
automation group. [If there are others already active with
automation, let us know so we can put both groups of people in contact]

Tech. We had no updates on the CD repair or the EAS unit recall
(Charlotte and Patsy had taken responsibility for these, but were not
at this meeting).
- Andrew has sourced a dot matrix printer (through Freecycle) to
replace the one we had been using with the EAS unit. It's coming with
spare ribbons and paper. [Update: this is now in the production room,
awaiting final connection to the system]

Appointments:
- IMC Steering: Tom Garza and Dominique Jones were appointed as our
spokes to IMC steering
- Bookkeeping: Laura Wagner has volunteered to take responsibility
for this: getting the monthly reports from IMC bookkeeping, bringing
reports to WRFU meetings, interacting with IMC Finance on any
questions that arise.
- Meeting facilitation/note-taking: Matt Delgado will facilitate our
next meeting on 18th March, including circulating meeting notices in
advance and building the agenda.

Progress reports:
Remote Access issue - No progress yet on arranging a meeting between
IMC-Tech and WRFU on this issue.

New tasks:
- Presentation by Bill Taylor - call for volunteers: Mike Pelfas will
contact Bill and check on possible dates.

Andrew