[Rfu-station] Minutes of station meeting 2008-05-06

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Wed May 7 11:27:29 CDT 2008

Introductions - Ray, Tom, Russ, Andrew

REPORTS:
AUTOMATION
- Ray still has minor problems with accessing Automation computer
externally. Will troubleshoot with Andrew after meeting.

STEERING MEETING
- Tom reported briefly on last Thursday's meeting. The main business
was discussing, and then approving the production group proposal.

FARMERS MARKET
- Need more volunteers. Sign the form in the studio (on noticeboard)
if you can do a 2-hour shift.
- Will have literature this week, probably not merchandise yet.

MEMBERSHIP
Andrew presents report from Membership (previously circulated)
- Several groups have not been signing log. Have been contacted by
email, but haven't responded. At this stage, presuming they are no
longer operating. Opening up slots, monitoring airtime to check if
shows are actually broadcasting.

NEW BUSINESS
ELECTION
- Special programming possibilities as we go towards election,
including special monthly programming from Laura Flanders/National
Radio Project, and webstreams from Indymedia activists during
conventions.
- Proposal to carry these where possible, and to encourage
programmers to integrate convention webstreams into their live
programming (e.g. certain portion of hour use stream, then switch to
in-studio discussion and content). General support for this, subject
to concerns about checking that convention coverage doesn't clash
with Quad Day operations.
*** If you are interested in producing content related to the
elections, please let me know, so I can make sure we cross-promote it
on air, and maximize the impact of our programming.

CANDIDATES
Discussion of policy around candidates
- if existing volunteer becomes candidate, we will guarantee to make
same amount of weekly time available to any other candidate (for same
race, in same district) who approaches us. Conditions: same as for
regular volunteer (2 trained people, pay equivalent of 2 membership
fees), must operate at least 1 hour at a time (to avoid the 30-second
political broadcasts that are so destructive to political discourse).
- We believe this rule to comply with the letter and spirit of the
equal time provisions of FCC regulations.
- We tabled a decision on how to deal with candidates in races where
we do *not* have an existing volunteer on air who is running in that
race.
- We have a volunteer (Joe Futrelle) running for Champaign County
District 8, so our new rule applies to that race. We are unaware of
any other candidates currently on air.

- In line with previous clarification by FCC, and standing WRFU
policy, bona fide news interviews do not need to comply with equal
time provisions. If you do feature, or plan to feature, a candidate
on your program, you must let me (andrew at funferal.org) know, so I can
ensure it's in line with policy, and also note it in our political
file (again, in line with FCC requirements).

REMOTE BROADCASTING
* Ray will be broadcasting remotely for much of the summer, as he
travels abroad. Live WRFU broadcasts from Europe - now that's
stretching what our technical setup is capable of! :-)

NEXT MEETING SATURDAY 17 MAY @ 1pm @ the Library Nook in the IMC.
It's scheduled as a potluck. Remember meeting attendance is a
requirement for all programming groups - it's essential to keep this
volunteer-run station on air - so please do come out, meet your
fellow volunteers, and be part of our decision-making processes.

Andrew Ó Baoill
Station Manager
WRFU-LP, Urbana 104.5FM
http://wrfu.net andrew at funferal.org