[Rfu-station] Notes from last meeting

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Fri Oct 24 17:31:59 CDT 2008

Major points of note:
- We decided to cancel our meeting on November 4, largely because it's
election night, and we guess many people will be waiting for results
with bated breath.
- We approved some new shows
- We decided to ask several groups of shows that currently breach our
limit of 'two programming groups per member' to resolve that issue by
our November 15 meeting.

I took general, rather than detailed, notes, so if I've missed
anything important, please forgive me and send a message to the lists
filling people in on the omission.

Membership:
- Tiger Beats (Sun 7-8pm), Mykal's Midnight Melodies (Wed 10pm-
midnight) both approved and added to the schedule.
- Andrew Lloyd Weber to ZZ Top confirmed for Thursday 7-8pm (this is a
follow-up from a decision made in principle at our last meeting).
- There are two individuals who are each in three programming groups.
We decided to contact these groups and ask them to seek to resolve the
situation by our November 15 meeting. Our rules currently state that
an individual can only be in 2 programming groups, with each group
allowed up to 2 hours per week, and groups that share members cannot
have consecutive slots that exceed 2 hours.

Tech:
- The dial for our CD player had been removed by someone, and
reappeared in studio recently. Andrew re-attached it (with difficulty)
to the CD player. We can't afford to repair or replace equipment so
it's VERY IMPORTANT that people not break equipment. If equipment is
broken - either by you, or when you arrive in studio - you must report
it to the RFU-tech mailing list (mailto: rfu-tech at lists.chambana.net).
- Noel volunteered to get the Tech group running again. He will soon
call a meeting of the group - probably for immediately before or after
our meeting on 15 November.

Automation:
- At our last meeting we declined to purchase an external drive for
the library organization project Maggie and Alex are undertaking. At
this meeting Maggie announced that they had a casing, and would
appreciate if there was a disc they could insert in the casing. They
are using it to mirror the current G: drive contents, so they can work
on analyzing them off-site. Stephen will look at what's available.
- Andrew gave an update on meetings he has had with UPTV and Denver
Open Media about collaboration between WRFU/IMC and UPTV, in
particular on their proposed migration to a Drupal-based content-
submission and scheduling/playback system (which is being developed by
Denver Open Media). We may be able to move to internet-based (or at
least kiosk-based) submission of content to WRFU, as well as Drupal-
based automation to replace Zara radio. Those interested in these
possibilities should join the Automation group and get directly in
touch with Andrew.
- We discussed the PSA submission process

Finance:
- Andrew gave a brief update of the current state of our finances, and
invited members to stay for the finance meeting
- There was a brief discussion of a Grant Proposal that Nicole is
preparing, for the IMC to apply for support to hire 8 Americorps
volunteers. The grant would require matching funds from IMC working
groups of $3,000 for each volunteer hired. Nicole brought a proposal
that WRFU join other IMC working groups (Print, Production) in
supporting a single volunteer position, to be used for a News
Production staff member. This would cost WRFU $1,000 (1/3 the cost).

The meeting adjourned/dissolved as we got into the detail of the
Americorps proposal, and discussion continued as part of the Finance
group meeting.