[Rfu-station] Station Meeting Tuesday

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sat Jul 4 15:28:12 CDT 2009

Our next meeting is this Tuesday at 8pm.

We will be discussing, and deciding, on the proposal to introduce
office hours for all WRFU volunteers.

We will also be seeking to appoint meeting conveners. See below for
description of the role. If you would be interested, or think someone
else would be a good candidate, let me know.

AGENDA will include:

- Introductions
- Choose facilitator, note-taker
- Office Hours proposal
- Meeting Convener positions
- Workday date - decide
- REPORTS
  - - Steering (Tom Garza will be unavoidably absent. Can someone else
report?)
  - - Station Manager
  - - Automation
  - - Membership and training
  - - Tech / equipment / facilities
  - - Finance
  - - Outreach

OFFICE-HOURS PROPOSAL
will be at WRFU and the IMC, working on station projects and available
to answer queries from the public. Require that all volunteers sign up
for a regular shift as part of their volunteer requirement.

Discussion: These hours will provide an easy entry point for new
volunteers to get involved with working groups and existing station
projects; the regular schedule will encourage volunteers to contribute
productively to necessary station tasks, as many/most can be
accomplished during office hours; training and new member processing
could have regular scheduled times during the office hours block.
Office hours will provide a means for volunteers to meet and interact
regularly with others, building the sense of community within the
station.

It will be necessary to have sufficient flexibility, in the block
selected for office hours, to accommodate volunteers with varied other
commitments. We should start with a modest, but sustainable, schedule,
and seek to build it out as we enter the Fall semester and the number
of volunteers expands. The schedule should take account of factors
such as campus holidays, when many volunteers are out of town.

The station is currently automated 2-6pm daily, so the studio is
available for use by volunteers. During times when the studio is used
by live shows, volunteers could double as IMC staffers.

Initial Proposal: Monday to Thursday, 4-6pm, and Saturday 12-2pm, be
set as office hours, and that all volunteers be required to sign up
for 1-2 hours a week. Limit number of volunteers on each hour, to
ensure all hours are covered. Have hours in operation by our next
meeting (18 July).

MEETING CONVENER
We need volunteers to act as ongoing meeting conveners: to make sure
meetings are called and facilitators. These individuals might
facilitate meetings themselves, or ensure others are recruited before
each meeting. Tasks include sending out meeting notices in advance of
meetings, collecting agenda items, facilitating meeting, making sure
notes are taken and posted to lists. Additional tasks could include
printing meeting notices and notes and placing them in studio.

We've been looking to fill this position for a while. Now that we have
a new manager, and as I'll be leaving town at the end of July, it
would be great if we could get this out of the way at this meeting -
send in your nominations now!

Andrew