[Rfu-station] Station meeting Tuesday; Station Manager candidate

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sat May 30 18:08:46 CDT 2009

Two announcements:
- Our next meeting is this Tuesday, 2 June, at 8pm.
- We have a candidate for the station manager position: Lori Serb.

Lori was present at our last meeting, and took the meeting minutes
(which I'm forwarding separately). She will not be able to attend this
meeting, as she has a previous engagement out of town, but she will be
attending our meeting on Saturday 20 June. Details of Lori's
background, and a short statement of interest, are below. At our last
meeting we agreed the following process, to ensure that all members
have an opportunity to consider and discuss Lori's candidacy:

- At this meeting, June 2, we will discuss Lori's candidacy in her
absence.
- At our meeting on June 20 members will have a chance to talk with
Lori.
- We will then seek, at the June 20 meeting, to reach consensus on our
decision. [Though it was not specified at the meeting, I expect that
we will make our final decision in the absence of Lori or any other
candidates.]
- Our decision will include ancillary issues such as length of
appointment

Some notes:
- Just because we have a candidate available for the position should
not dissuade others who are also interested in putting themselves (or
others) forward for the position. The sooner we know of any other
candidates the better
- I'm happy to talk with any IMC or WRFU member with questions or
comments about the Station Manager position or Lori's candidacy.

Our meeting this Tuesday will include:
GROUP REPORTS
Membership - New openings, requests to extend/move several shows
Finance - Accounts update, Request to allocate Radio News funds to
Credit Card purchase
Outreach - Farmers' Market coordinator, volunteers, needed
Automation
Tech
STATION MANAGER: Discussion of Lori Serb's candidacy for Station
Manager position

LORI SERB STATEMENT/BACKGROUND

Why I feel I can be of service in the Station Manager Position:
I strongly feel that independent media, particularly radio, in the
hands of the people is essential to present the wide range of views
and music found in the Urbana community. I have, over the years,
sharpened my fundraising strategies, local organizing skills, and
networking abilities, which I would like to apply as the next station
manager of WRFU. I would also like to be part of the collective
decision making process that determines the direction and potential of
this community resource.

Radio Background:
I have been a member of WEFT community radio since 1998. I have
attended 3 Grassroots Radio Conferences (2003, 2006, 2007) and worked
as a Technical Director at WILL public radio for 2 years. In that time
I also produced independent public affairs features for Free Speech
Radio News, IMC Radio News, and Sidetracks on AM 580. Recently I
became a member of WRFU.

Programming at WEFT:
I hosted and produced programming for the Womyn Making Waves
Collective--1998 until 2005.
During 2000--2002 I hosted a weekly show that featured local live
music called WEFT Sessions, and acquired local recording for the WEFT
library. In 2003 I began producing (every 4th and alternating 5th
Sundays 10-11AM) a local public affairs program called Prairie
Grassroots; and (every Friday 6A-9A) Dog Is My Co-Pilot. In addition
to playing a wide variety of music during these programs, I have
conducted interviews both in-studio and by phone, as well as recorded
talks by visiting activists and artists.

Outreach/fundraising at WEFT
WEFT Underwriting Coordinator from fall 2000 through August 2002.
WEFT Pledge Drive Coordinator 2003-2005.
Outreach/tabling at the Taste of Champaign, WEFTfest, Farmer's Market
Created radio/engineering workshops for young women through Grrrlfest
and over the years offered one-on-one training on the audio equipment
I am familiar with to promote the Do-it-yourself model of independent
media.

Leadership role at WEFT
In September 2004 I was elected to the WEFT BOD by the WEFT
Associates. I was elected to fill a vacant member-elected seat which
was set to expire in June of 2005. I worked hard to demonstrate my
committment and responsibility to actively cultivating a positive
social climate at WEFT. In May 2005 I announced that I would run again
and was re-elected to fill the Board seat until the end of my term May
2007. In the my time as a member of the Board I am most proud of my
work to actively _promote_ an anti-sexist culture. The anti-sexism
statement was passed by the Board of Directors on January 24, 2005. On
Feb. 20, 2006 the conflict resolution process was passed by the board
of directors.

If you have questions for me please feel free to email me at: loriserb at loriserb.info
.

Thank you for your consideration,