[Tbtn] Re: Today's SAAM meeting

Michelle Clutts cluttsm at awomansfund.org
Wed Feb 25 11:59:52 CST 2004

Hi all,
Sorry I missed the last meeting but I'm definitely excited about working on
TBTN this year.  I think this is a great start, I know for the speakers I
have contacts with some of the potential speakers and could work on
that.  As for the idea about moving the location I think it would be cool
to move that march to a more campus and community friendly location.  I've
participated in a march around downtown and the route was pretty much
focused on the main streets where the bars, cafes and other businesses are
located.  Ruxandra, I'm not sure what part of the community you think we
may be perceived as targeting?

I'm also a little uncomfortable with the idea of 3-5 minute self-defense
talk.  And I'll explain..to me TBTN is about being loud, big and demanding
that society take women and violence against them serious, having a talk
about how we need to learn to defend ourselves seems to reiterate to point
that women should not be out alone at night and that it's a woman's
responsibility to not become a victim.  I definitely think we should
provide information (i.e. a table or info booth) at the rally for anyone
that wants to learn self-defense, I'm just not sure about talking about it
at the rally.

Those are my opinions.
Let me know what you think.
~Michelle