[Tbtn] RE: Today's SAAM meeting

Ross A Wantland wantland at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 25 10:40:36 CST 2004

Hey y'all,
  I think this is a really interesting piece. Whatever place is chosen, we are, functionally, "targeting" a part of the community, whether that be campus, or north champaign, or central champaign, etc. Now, how that's perceived may be different. Someone from within campus may see beginning at the Quad as a great idea, whereas some of the folks yesterday believed that beginning at the Quad would make it feel like a UI/student event to non-UIUC affiliated (or formerly affiliated) individuals. It seems like this question centers around what our priorities are. Do we want to increase numbers? What if that affects the diversity of our event? Do we unintentionally privilege students/campus over the larger community?
  It was also mentioned that if the march was elsewhere, it would be important to both be explicit about the focus/reason of the march, and to be explicit about how folks can get there (if it's at West Side park, for instance, provide a shuttle, walk together, or even promote the bus to take to get there)
  Lots of thinking required :) (Thanks for forwarding this to me)
Peace,
Ross