[Trees-executive] IP

Carl H. Malmgren, II malmgren at life.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 1 12:42:59 CDT 2001

Gretchen I think your idea of meeting with IP together and then
holding the April 10 meeting with the public is the best idea.

I am copying this to the EC and to Ed so we can make a final decision
by Monday am.

Below is a draft of a letter to Peter Milberg to meet with IP that we
can use as a template to arrange both and your note Gretchen

Gretchen's note on IP:

Hi Carl -

	I hope you've heard through John M. that Peter Millburg
contacted Ed Jelks to set up a meeting with the B-N folks.  The
earliest date he offered us was 4/4 -- after the Springfield meeting.
We told Ed to tell Peter that we'd discuss the matter this weekend
and get back to him some time next week.  So now they're in a hurry, eh?

	Several scenarios suggest themselves, but none, believe me,
would involve excluding the C-U folks in any way.  Either we meet
with IP together or not at all.  They're not going to split us up.

	Here are a few thoughts on this matter:

	1.  We could meet with Peter and why don't we ask for
this Chapman fellow quoted in the Kewanee paper -- he's head
of electrical distribution, not just a PR guy without policy-making
power like Peter.  Have IP send us an agenda for the meeting
beforehand - let's get them to commit to something in writing,
much like the cities are trying to do.  Why show them our hand
without seeing what tack they're planning to take?  Then we
can plan our strategy better.

	2.  We could set up a small meeting with 2 or 3 people
from the B-N group and 2 or 3 people from the C-U group, and have
it here in B-N.   They should all be from the exec comm. or steering
comm. or core group, whatever they call themselves.  They
get IP's agenda ahead of time and agree on a list of questions
and talking points together - ahead of time.  Remember that IP
is really angry with Normal, and Peter lives in Bloomington.
Let's have some home ground advantage. One hour ought to do it.

	3.  Then we could have a large public meeting maybe
a week later (give us time to digest and see what else comes
up with the municipalities and Rutherford -- remember we are
really pressuring him to let John M. into the meetings where the
REAL WORK is happening).  That meeting would be held in
C-U, and should be negotiated to be held under settlement
conditions.  Sure, do the panel thing and open Q & A's, but
make sure IP knows it can't use anything said in that meeting
as evidence.

	4.  Maybe we don't want John M. to be present at the small
meeting -- not to exclude him, but to underline the fact that he
  should be sitting in Rutherford's office on equal standing with the
other legal reps. of the interveners.  I don't want IP to think that
any meeting with its PR guy has legal significance now or later!

So that's my two cents.  We're going to discuss all this at our
meeting Sunday.  Let me know what you thinking -

Thanks,
G.

KYR'A LETTER:

Dear Mr. Millberg,

After consulting with the members of our executive committee, it seems a waste

of everyone's time to meet the evening of the 9th to discuss the structure of

the meeting at 7:00 P.M. on the 10th.   The meeting structure will be as
follows: A panel of speakers including one person from Illinois Power will

speak to the group, each speaker being allowed ten minutes.  When the panel

has spoken, we will then allow questions from the audience.  You mentioned

wanting to bring Mr. Pontifex, Ms. Albin and possible a forester.  These
people could be present, but one of you should be the designated speaker for

Illinois Power.  Should technical questions about pruning techniques arise,
the
forester could answer from the floor.

I hope that this has answered your concerns about the format for the meeting,

and I will look forward to receiving your confirmation that you will be
attending the meeting on April 10th.  I believe I mentioned on the phone
that the Champaign Public Library is located at 505 South Randolph, but the

entrance is on the street behind, which is State.

The library requires that we be out of the building promptly at 9:00 P.M.,so

we must limit the time of the speakers on the panel, so that we have time for

questions afterwards.

Sincerely, Kyra Shair