[Trees-executive] 4/9/01 ExCom meeting summary

j-beauch at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu j-beauch at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 9 23:34:11 CDT 2001

Present: Kyra Shair, Mary Schlembach, Joyce Hofmann, Rebecca
         Hartman-Baker, Audrey Fisher, John Sullivan, Jim Beauchamp

The meeting took place at the Grainger Library, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana,
IL,  room 231 (a nice quiet place, by the way, with very comfortable
chairs) 7:30 PM.

First, we discussed the General Meeting of April 10th, to take place at
the Champaign Library. It was decided that Kyra would MC the meeting
and a schedule was decided upon (see Mary's email). Setup will begin
at 6 PM. Fran Turquette is delivering the microphones and John McMahon
and Jim Beauchamp will set up the equipment. (John M. is suppying his
PA system.) We have two recordings of "Trees" that we can play to add
atmosphere (one at the beginning and one at the end).

We discussed Joyce's points, which will be passed out to the audience
along with copies of Jerry's article.

We discussed Arbor Day. Kyra has reserved West Side Park in Champaign
for April 28th. So, even though we don't know exactly what its program
will be yet, we decided to announce it Tuesday night. We need to have
another meeting to brainstorm and nail down some ideas for this event.
Rebecca suggested oak samplings to be distributed. Food could be sold,
but this requires a $50 to 75 license fee. Music is a strong
possibility; John M. has offered his band free. However, we would need
electricity, and the big band trailers don't come cheap. (big
batteries?)

We lamented that none of us knew what happened Friday (4/6) and
speculated whether we needed to know for the meeting Tuesday night.
Hopefully, Carl will be able to issue a summary tomorrow so we won't
continue to be in the dark. On the other hand, it isn't clear whether
we want to make any reference to that meeting Tuesday night. Perhaps
Peter M. or Carl will refer to it during their talks.

We discussed our strong concerns about our perception of a relative
scarcity of leadership coordination for IPCUTSOT, which is having a
negative effect on the morale of the group. We wondered whether Laura
will be taking a more active role with the group, now that she has
achieved her election goal. We wondered if the two vice-coordinators
can improve their coordination. I was appointed to head a subcomittee
to look into this problem.

The next ExComm meeting is tentatively set for Monday April 16th at
7:30 PM at a location to be announced.

Respectively submitted,

Jim