[Trees-executive] meeting

Joyce Hofmann jhofmann at inhs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 28 11:47:28 CDT 2001

Sorry I missed the meeting last night.  I had written 7 pm on my calendar.
When I arrived at John's office no one was there.  I was hungry, so I went
home to fix something to eat, came back at 8 pm to check if anyone was
there, and discovered that I had just missed the meeting.  John filled me
in on what occurred.  I agree that it's very difficult to motivate people
when there isn't a specific threat (especially during summer when many
people are vacationing).  But we still have an attorney, some funds, a
website, a database of concerned citizens, and (I guess) enough members for
a local Executive Committee.  And  the B-N crowd seems to still be quite
active.  I think our main strategy for the present should be to keep track
of developments on the new tariff, send statements to people in the
database about any developments, and periodically update the website with
pertinent info.  We can also keep on the lookout for opportunities to
publicize the issue (like the table at the Urbana Farmers Market -- but
there's no point in being in the 4th of July parade if we don't have a
significant presence).  That way people who are concerned will know that
the organization still exists and is just waiting to see how things turn
out.  If a new tariff emerges that still poses a serious threat to our
trees we will be ready to mobilize again.   Joyce

Dr. Joyce E. Hofmann
Research Scientist
Curator, Illinois Natural History Survey Mammal Collection
Co-curator, University of Illinois Museum of Natural History Mammal
Collection Center for Biodiversity
Illinois Natural History Survey
607 E. Peabody Drive
Champaign, IL 61820