[Vip-environmental] Orientation Nights and Environmental Action Night

Stephanie Juen juen at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 31 15:39:04 CDT 2005

Hello everyone!

Hopefully the semester is treating you well so far, and more
importantly I hope your classes aren't going to keep you too
busy to get in a little volunteering on the side. I have a
couple of upcoming events to let you guys know about.

First, on September 1st (tomorrow) Students for
Environmental Concerns will be hosting their annual
Environmental Action Night. VIP-Enviro will have a table at
the event to get our name out there and hopefully recruit
more volunteers. Stop by, say hello, and find out more
about the other environmental groups on campus! (I have
included more details about the event at the end of this
e-mail for those interested)

Next, we have Orientation Nights coming up next week. There
are two nights, but the same information will be presented
both nights, so you only need to attend one. These meetings
will give me a chance to get to know you guys better, I will
be talking about our projects and events for the upcoming
semester, and you will get the chance to become more
familiar with the VIP-Enviro coordinators you will be
working with in the coming months. On that note, I do have
several coordinator positions open, so if you are interested
in a leadership role, Orientation Nights are a great
opportunity to talk with me about it. Our meeting times this
semester are...

***Tuesday Sept 6 @ 7pm in 205 Gregory Hall***
                 and
***Thursday Sept 8 @ 6pm in 131 English Building***

PLEASE try and make it to one of these meetings to hear more!

Finally, just a few events coming up soon to keep in mind...
-We will be doing TWO river clean-ups this semester! The
first is a new one, and it will be Sept 17 on the Sangamon
River. The other is our annual Salt Fork River Clean-up
event on Oct 8. In the past people have had a ton of fun, so
pencil them in early!
-If you like working with kids, we will be having a training
session to do fun nature activities and games with kids as a
Volunteer Naturalist at the Anita Purves Nature Center. Date
and Time are still pending.
-We will also be starting our usual outdoor workdays with
the Urbana Park District and the Champaign County Forest
Preserve District very soon, so get ready to get outside and
enjoy the weather while it's nice!
I will be sending more detailed information on these and
more events as the dates get closer. I just wanted to give
you a heads up though. :)

I hope to see a lot of you in the near future!

Stephanie Juen
VIP-Environmental Director

(ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION NIGHT INFO)

It's not just happening in the Amazon.

Illinois, the "Prairie State,"  has lost more than 90
percent of its prairie to farming and development.

Just yesterday, the state attorney general accused the
Illinois EPA of repeatedly ignoring pollution violations by
coal-burning power plants in Chicago and Peoria. (More than
7,000 violations were documented, all of which occured since
1999 at just six of the 22 plants in Illinois).

Come learn more. Meet cool people. Eat free food.
Win some raffle prizes. Get some info you might want to
know.

GET ACTIVE. STAY INFORMED. HUG A TREE.

What: Environmental Action Night

When: THIS THURSDAY, Sept. 1st, 6-9 pm; talks begin @ 7pm

Where: University YMCA (across from Lincoln Hall on Wright
St)

Who: - Students for Environmental Concerns (SECS)
     - Alaska Coalition
     - The Prairie Group / Illinois Chapter of the Sierra
       Club
     - The Environmental Council of UIUC
     - Prairie Greens / Campus Greens
     - Red Bison
     - Engineers Without Borders
     - Wildlife Society
     - Prairie Rivers Network
     - Common Ground Food Co-op
     - Students Improving the Lives of Animals (SILA)
     - Water Environment Assocation
     - Republicans for Environmental Protection
     - Ecological Design Consortium
     - VIP Environmental
     - UIUC & Illinois NORML
     - Campus Vegetarian Society
     - Environmental Resources
     - Alternative Spring Break

Come out with your friends and enjoy free FOOD, raffle
PRIZES and the latest INFO about the local environmental
scene!

Get ACTIVE! Stay INFORMED! Make A DIFFERENCE!