[Vip-environmental] Weekly Update

Stephanie Juen juen at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 3 12:35:37 CDT 2005

Hey everyone,

We've got tons of great stuff coming up, so read through to
see all the awesome opportunities we have to come out and
volunteer.

1) Get excited! The Salt Fork River Clean-up is finally
here!!!

8th Annual Salt Fork Clean-up

Where?
Homer Lake Forest Preserve
2573 South Homer Lake Road
(near Homer, IL)

When?
Saturday, October 8, 2005
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Volunteers are needed to clean up the Salt Fork River, one of
Illinois' best recreational resources. Come help collect
cans, bottles, fishing gear and appliances from the Salt
Fork's banks. This year they will also be adding a non-native
species removal aspect to the event as well.
Free Nalgene style water bottles will be given out (as
long as supplies last). Snacks are also provided.

We will meet in the Union Circle Drive at 7:45am and probably
return between 1 and 1:30pm. As always, transportation will
be provided. If you are planning on attending but haven't let
me know yet, please do so I can be sure we have adequate
transportation. This is a really fun event and has been a
definite favorite in past years!

2) We will be having an event on Thurs. Oct. 13 at 4:30pm
with the Champaign County Forest Preserve District. We will
spend a couple of hours either collecting prairie seed or
working in the green house. I will let you know for sure when
I find out, but just keep that date in mind.

3) The Make-A-Difference Workday with Allerton Park is on
Saturday, Oct. 15. We will leave from the Union Circle Drive
by 9:15 am, volunteer from 10-12, and return a little before
1pm. We could end up working on a variety of projects from
non-native species removal to trail maintenance to helping
clean the statues in the park. Allerton would like to know
how many volunteers we will be bringing so they can plan
activities, so please let me know if you think you will be
attending even if you are not sure.

I hope to see a lot of you soon!

Stephanie Juen
VIP-Environmental Director