[Vip-environmental] Weekly Update

Stephanie Juen juen at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 15 20:35:24 CDT 2005

Hello everyone!

[Some of this will be a bit repetitive for those who were at
Orientation Nights, but please bear with me.]

I will be sending out a weekly e-mail with upcoming events
and project updates to keep you all informed of what's going
on throughout the semester. So get excited about all of the
great volunteer opportunities to come!!!

1. Our FIRST EVENT will be this Saturday Sept. 17! We will
be volunteering at the SANGAMON RIVER CLEAN-UP. It's going
to be a great time with lots of goofing around and getting
dirty while really making a difference. We will meet at the
Union Circle Drive at 7:45 am and return around 12:30 pm. As
always, transportation will be provided. Be sure to wear OLD
clothes! There's a chance they might get completely ruined.
If you are planning on attending, please reply back and let
me know so I have a rough idea of how many people to expect.

2. Besides our workdays and other special events like river
clean-ups, we also have a few projects that require a more
regular time commitment. These include our Trail Stewards,
Environmental Education, Recycling, and Activism projects.
Trail Stewards involves going out as a smaller group of
volunteers a couple of times a month to maintain a
trail/path at a local park or preserve. It's a great
opportunity to get outside and take a walk. Environmental Ed
works doing environmentally related activities with kids. To
help with recycling, you will probably need access to a car.
You will be put on a rotating schedule to go pick up
recyclables from either the Center for Women in Transition
or businesses on Green Street and drop it at the recycling
center in Champaign. We also need volunteers to help in
getting our Green Street Recycling Program up and running.
This would involve talking to campus businesses, doing some
PR stuff, and a few other miscellaneous tasks as necessary.
Finally, we have our activism project, which involves
increasing student and community awareness about
environmental issues.
If you were unable to make it to Orientation to sign up but
are interested in one of the above projects, please let me
know so I can get you involved.

3. I have a couple of coordinator positions that I need to
fill. One is for the Green Street Recycling Project and the
other is to be a Co-Coordinator for Activism. If you would
like more info or think you would be interested in applying
for one of these positions, please let me know by this
coming Sunday. For those interested I will send applications
and there will be a short interview.

To Summarize:
1. Sangamon River Clean-up this Saturday morning
2. Interest in volunteering with Env Ed, Activism,
Recycling, and/or Trail Stewards
3. Open Coordinator Positions

I hope to see a bunch of you on Saturday!!!

Thanks,
Stephanie Juen
VIP-Environmental Director