[Vip-hh] Hunger and Homelessness Newsletter

trumble at uiuc.edu trumble at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 24 11:04:53 CST 2005

Hello H&H Volunteers!

Welcome to the first of regular newsletters of the semester.
Be prepared, this one is a bit lengthy...but well worth the
effort! And don't worry, future letters will not be this
long...

First order of business: the Sleep Out on the 19th in
Chicago was a huge success. We collected more than 4,000
signatures and had an awesome time...despite the absolutely
freeezing cold. The event was on TV news as well as in the
Chicago Tribune. Anyone who would like to see pictures of
the event, just email me and I will gladly send them to you.

And..Congratulations to our new Coordinators! Weekly
volunteering opportunities will be starting as soon as
possible, so I am listing all the coordinators as well as a
brief description of the agency/project. Please contact
these coordinators for information about volunteering for a
specific agency.

1. The Times Center: a transitional shelter for men.
Volunteers serve food and perform other services.
Coordinator: Jennifer Rydzewski, rydzewsk at uiuc.edu

2. Salt and Light Food Pantry: distributes food and clothing
to Champaign-Urbana residents. Volunteers help organize,
distribute and perform and other tasks the pantry needs.
Coordinator: Karen Leu, kleu2 at uiuc.edu

3. St. Jude's Catholic Worker House: this is a soup kitchen
and shelter. Volunteers prepare meals, pass out supplies and
put food away.
Coordinator: Nicole Alvarado, nmalvara at uiuc.edu

4. The Center for Women in Transition: the Center is two
year transitional housing for women and their children.
Volunteer activities can include working with the women or
the kids and doing various things around the houses.
Coordinator: Peggy Loo, peggyloo at uiuc.edu

5. Eastern Illinois Foodbank: a warehouse distribution
center for food donations. Volunteers help organize and sort
donations.
Coordinator: Sara Gilman, sgilman2 at uiuc.edu

6. Projects International: this is a new project, open to
new ideas! Events include the Sleep-Out and plans to go
abroad.
Coordinator: Gillian Nichols-Smith, nicholss at uiuc.edu

7. Public Relations: help out with advertising for H&H.
Coordinator: Whitney Chappell, wchappel at uiuc.edu

8. Special Projects: a series of special events throughout
the semester.
Coordinator: Nicole Alvarado, nmalvara at uiuc.edu

If you have any additional questions, please contact me.

Good luck, Volunteers!

Whitney Trumble
Director, H&H
Volunteer Illini Projects, Inc.