[Vip-specialprojects] Events this weekend

emrice at uiuc.edu emrice at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 4 05:23:16 CDT 2005

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much to everyone who attended The Light the
Night Walk and the AIDS Walk this weekend.  Your help was
very much appreciated and I heard tons of good comments
about you guys at the events!!!  So be proud of
yourselves!!!  I know I am!!  :)

This weekend is another one chalk FULL of volunteer
opportunities that are in desperate need of some help!

Friday, October 7- Saturday, October 8, we have three events
to choose from!!!

- The 6th Annual Salt Fork River Cleanup from 9am-noon on
Saturday.  It's always a fun event, especially if you like
to get down and dirty!  :)  We're also ordering tshirts for
this event to show our support and to have some fun, so if
you're interested, let me know.  The more people who want
tshirts, the cheaper they'll be!!!

- Also on Saturday from 11am-4pm is the 15th Annual Don
Moyer Boys and Girls Club Duck Race.  The Don Moyer Boys and
Girls Club makes it a goal to provide a strong foundation
for the youth in the C-U community, and strive to improve
the quality of life for each child served.  The volunteers
at the Duck Race will be helping with things like setting up
for the event, selling raffle tickets and ducks, working in
a beverage or food tent and serving customers, working in a
childrens area with crafts, face painting, games, helping to
clean up the ducks after the race, etc.

- And the last event this weekend is Friday Oct. 7- Saturday
Oct. 8... the Wheelchair Basketball Marathon.  It's an
amazing event, and they are in DESPERATE need of volunteers!
We were thinking of having 2 volunteers help out every 3
hours or so starting at 3PM on Friday Oct 7.  These people
would be responsible for running the table and keeping
score.  CRCE is going to lock it's doors at 10PM and no one
is allowed in until the next morning at 8AM.  So here is
what a schedule for volunteers would look like:
3PM-6:30PM: 2 volunteers
6:30PM-10PM: 2 volunteers
10PM-8AM: 3 or 4 volunteers
8AM-11AM: 2 volunteers
11AM-1pm: 2 volunteers
1pm-4pm: 2 volunteers
The volunteers that want to work the overnight shift should
know that they will be locked into CRCE.  They will not have
to work the whole shift, so they will be able to sleep.
They are encouraged to bring a sleeping bag or air mattress.
Food and drinks will be provided for all people that are
volunteering.
If you are interested in this event, it's CRUCIAL that you
email me ASAP with the shift you'd be available to work.

Well that's it for this weekend.  PLEASE EMAIL ME ASAP WITH
ANY OR ALL EVENTS YOU'D BE INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING AT.

I hope you all have a great week, and make sure you try and
find time this weekend to serve others!!  :)

Your Director through service,
Liz