VIP Special Projects Volunteer Opportunities!!!

VIP Special Projects vip.special.projects at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:57:07 CDT 2009

*Hey SP Volunteers!!!*

*Our last carnival event was a success!* So this Friday, April 24th we will
be going to Kenwood Elementary in Champaign, IL for their Spring Carnival.
We will be leaving from the Illini Union at 5:15pm. They will be providing a
free meal for *all* the volunteers. This is a great way to get involved in
the community! If you're interested please respond *ASAP* (by Thursday), so
I'd know how many people will be attending.

*Also...*

*Don't forget about the MS WALK May 3rd!!!*

*Walk MS- May 3rd, 2009 - Meadowbrook Park *- *Urbana, IL*

The Walk MS, coordinated by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, is an
opportunity to join the thousands of people walking and volunteering in your
community on Sunday, May 3 at the Meadowbrook Park located on S Race St & W
Windsor Rd in Urbana, IL. The proceeds from the event will benefit the more
than 20,000 people living with MS in Illinois. The Walk will be from *9am-
12pm*:
*
Duties*
*Greeters* - Welcome and direct walkers to the appropriate areas; ensure
that registration lines are moving quickly and walkers have all registration
materials completed; answer questions

*Registration* - Check in walkers; collect pledge envelopes, answer
questions

*Breakfast *(if applicable) - Set up supplies; prepare and serve
refreshments; keep area clean

*Volunteer Tent *- Check in registered volunteers; distribute T-shirts to
volunteers and hold onto lost and found items

*Traffic Control *- Hang directional signs; direct cars to parking spaces;
direct walkers and volunteers to site; answer questions

*Route Support *– Pick up walkers along the route and bring them to the
finish line (must have an Illinois drivers license and a minivan and/or
large sedan)

*Rest Stop* - Set up rest stop supplies; prepare and re-stock snacks and
refreshments for walkers; keep rest stop clean at all times; answer
questions

*Communications *- Have your own radio equipment and group of volunteers to
be stationed at different points along the route, monitor and report
progress to designated site leadership

Please contact me ASAP, we will be providing transportation. *Don't forget
to register before event!*

*Registration instructions are as follows:*
 1. Go to www.WalkMSillinois.org <http://www.walkmsillinois.org/>
2. Click on "Register Now"
3. Select "Urbana" and from there select "Register as a Volunteer"
4. Select "Volunteer- Urbana/Champaign" and Next
5. Fill out all the information needed. On question 9, select "A member of a
volunteer group" and in 10, write in "*Volunteer Illini Projects: Special
Projects*". Fill out the appropriate shift time and the task duty
interested.
6. Once everything is filled out click on next step, read the terms then
click on agree.

*Other VIP Projects...

**VIP Hunger and Homelessness* is having an awareness event this Thursday,
April 23rd at 7pm called Food for Thought. It will be a Hunger and Homeless
interactive event made to promote the awareness of homelessness locally and
globally.

*Name: Food for Thought
Date: April 23rd at 7pm
Place: Bevier Hall, Room 249
            905 S Goodwin Ave
            Urbana, IL 61801
Event will include:
- Free food
- Speaker
- Q&A session (prizes!)
- Raffle (prizes!)**
*A raffle ticket will be exchanged for a non-perishable food item or
clothes! The proceeds will be donated to the Champaign Salvation Army. They
are especially in need of men's larger pant sizes and kids clothing, but
will accept anything. Bring multiple donations and receive multiple tickets!

*RSVP on Facebook.* Search "Food for Thought" in the search bar.
*OR RSVP at vip.hunger.homeless at gmail.com*

--
Sheena Johnson
University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign
vip.special.projects at gmail.com