VIP Special Projects: Events this week

VIP Special Projects vip.special.projects at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:10:25 CDT 2011

 Hey there Volunteers,

First off, this is the last reminder that the deadline to submit your
application to be on our Board of Directors is today - *Tuesday, October 18*.
Electronic applications can be sent to ovp at illinois.edu ( by 11:59 pm) or
hard copies can be submitted to Vaneitta Goines, in room 285G of the Illini
Union.

Here are the events to look forward to this week... please email me ASAP
with interest!

Thanks all,
Kate

Meals of Hope Volunteering!
Where: First United Methodist church in Champaign.
When: Friday Oct. 21, 6pm - 8pm AND
 Saturday Oct. 22, 8:30am - 12pm
Transportation: Provided

Meals of Hope is a community-involved food packaging event in which
volunteers package meals for local families and individuals facing hunger.
The packed meals are distributed to soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters,
snack programs, and other agencies and programs served by the Eastern
Illinois Foodbank (EIF).
We have been helping to fund raise for this event, and now were are going to
help make it happen!

On Friday, volunteers will be helping unload food, equipment, and supplies
being delivered, as well as helping to set up tables for the flowing
morning.

On Saturday, Volunteers will be helping others package complete meals.

You MUST volunteer for both days; Fri night will include a training for
Saturday morning. I know this is a big time commitment, but I it’s a great
opportunity to make a big difference...and have fun!

Please email Kate at vip.special.projects at gmail.com if interested!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Events with other VIP groups:*

American Cancer Society*
"Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" at Crystal Lake Park
The American Cancer Society is hosting an annual Breast Cancer Walk to raise
money for a cure.  This is a great event to meet amazing individuals that
are suffering from breast cancer, survivors, and their loved ones.  We will
be assisting with setting up the event so that it goes very smoothly! email
vip.health.need at gmail.com with interest.
*Saturday, October 22nd, from 7:30am-12:30pm.*  Please meet at 7:15am at the
Illini Union Circle Drive.

*Red Ribbon Week*
Red Ribbon Week is a nation wide program for young children to learn about
the hazards of alcohol and drugs.  We will be giving a presentation on the
effects of drugs and alcohol and the benefits of living drug free to 1st,
4th, and 5th grade classes at Carrie Busey and Bottenfield Elementary
Schools.  Also, volunteers will lead a school-wide assembly at Kenwood
Elementary.  If you would like to help in the planning process or have any
ideas for the Red Ribbon Week presentation or interactive activities, please
email vip.health.need at gmail.com!  Join VIP Health Needs teach kids about
drug and alcohol awareness in a fun and interactive way!
October 24th -28th (during the regular school day)

Champaign County YMCA Halloween Party  The event is through the Champaign
County YMCA and it is a Halloween Party/Event on October 28th from 4pm to
9pm.  We will be helping with a variety of activities such as face painting,
a haunted house, and many other games, as well as set-up and take down.  We
were asked to wear orange shirts in the spirit of Halloween!  We are looking
for 20 to 25 volunteers to assist with this party, so get as many people to
volunteer as possible!
If you are interested in volunteering at this event please contact Aaron at
skater14all at yahoo.com and let him know that you are interested in
volunteering.  Please be 100% sure that you can attend the event before you
respond!  If you say that you will be there, then we will be counting on
your attendance on October 28th! The agencies we work with do not get a good
impression of our group when we have volunteers who do not show up, so
please just make the commitment and stick to it!

WE REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS EVENT, SO PLEASE VOLUNTEER!!!

--
Kate Stephens  II  Special Projects Director 2011
Volunteer Illini Projects  II  University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign
vip.special.projects at gmail.com
*
If you like to be removed from this list serve, email me back at anytime.
Please Include any potential email addresses that you could be listed as in
the body of the email.*