VIP Special Projects: Events!

VIP Special Projects vip.special.projects at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:34:01 CDT 2011

Hello VIP Special Projects Volunteers!

It's time for another sweet semester of volunteering with VIP Special
Projects!  We are currently working out some awesome events for you all to
participate in this semester, starting this weekend!

Before we get to the events, let me give a quick rundown of what you can
expect from VIP this semester:

1) *Events: *We will be having bimonthly events, generally on the weekends.
We will also be publicizing other VIP events and volunteer opportunities in
the area; read to the end of emails for that information!
2) *Fundraisers:* We will be doing 1-2 big fundraisers this semester. more
details to come.
3) *Facebook! : *Please join the VIP Special Projects group on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/VIP-Special-Projects/188226591202600>to
get updates on events and fundraisers!
4) *Input/Ideas from volunteers:  *If there is an event you hear about that
you want to to volunteer with, or a particular issue you want to work with
or fund-raise for, just let me know! We want to make VIP Special
Projectswhat you want it to be.
~~~
UPCOMING EVENTS (What I know you've all been waiting for):

*Meals of Hope Fundraiser
**When: THIS Saturday, 9/17 from 11pm-1am
Where: Green Street
*Meet at Illini Union Circle Drive at 11pm**
*
The Eastern Illinois Foodbank is looking to raise $13,000 for a special
event called Meals of Hope, which will bring 55,000 meals to needy families
in the C-U area. To help them reach this goal, we will be collecting
donations by canning on green street. It's  bound to be an entertaining and
fun event--*let me know ASAP if you are interested!*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Other VIP events: contact the VIP project director for more information if
some of these upcoming VIP events spark your interest!*

*Best Buddies Walk*
Saturday Oct 8, 9-3pm
contact illinibestbuddies at gmail.com for more info

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Community events: Below are some upcoming events in the community searching
for volunteers. please contact the agency directly for more information.*

~
Volunteer Work Week <http://cuvolunteer.org/opportunities/profile/126>

Date of opportunity: *Tue, September 13 -- Friday September 16 2011*

After a busy summer, the Orpheum Children's Science Museum is closing for a
week to catch up on repairs, maintenance, and cleaning. Volunteers are
needed in all areas throughout the week. Shifts are in three hour time
blocks from 10AM-1PM and 1PM-10AM Monday September 12-Friday September 16.

~

*DRES*
DRES is seeking a volunteer to scribe for a student with a physical
disability who is enrolled in a History 143 Discussion Section that takes
place on Mondays and Wednesdays in Room 313 Davenport Hall from 9:00-9:50
AM. This student re-quires writing assistance for in-class activities for
this Advanced Composition course for the fall 2011 semester. If you wish to
volunteer, please contact Susann Heft Sears at sheft at illinois.edu.
The Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) is
requesting a Reader/Scribe Volunteer for their Testing Accommodations Center
(TAC). This Reader/Scribe Volunteer is needed on the following dates:
September 27 @ 9:30 am. This exam can take up to _2 hours and 30 minutes.
September 27 @ 12:30 pm. This exam can take up to _1 hours and 53 minutes.
October 27 @ 12:30 pm. This exam can take up to _1 hours and 53 minutes.
November 3 @ 9:30 am. This exam can take up to _2 hours and 30 minutes.
(If you can do any part of these times please let me know and we can see if
some-one else can do the other part)
The Reader/Scribe volunteer will be needed as reader and as scribe.
Reader volunteers verbally dictate written exams and materials to students
who qualify for this reasonable accommodation. You may repeat and reread
parts of the exam upon the request of the student. Concise reading skills
are necessary.
The Scribe volunteers is to write, type or fill in bubbles on a scantron
sheets for a student who qualifies for this accommodation while taking an
exam or quiz. This position requires great attention to all details of what
the student is dictating.
This is a high security position and will require you to sign a statement of
confiden-tiality and be monitored by supervisors. Further details and
clarification on reader/scribe’s expectations will be provided to those
wishing to volunteer. Reader/Scribe volunteer cannot be enrolled in the same
courses that need testing accommoda-tions. Please only respond if you are
available for to be a Reader/Scribe volunteer. (If you are interested and a
U of I student please provide a list of classes you are enrolled in.)

--
Kate Stephens  II  Special Projects Director 2011
Volunteer Illini Projects  II  University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign
vip.special.projects at gmail.com
*
If you like to be removed from this list serve, email me back at anytime.
Please Include any potential email addresses that you could be listed as in
the body of the email.*