VIP Special Projects: Volunteer Opportunities/ Exciting News!

VIP Special Projects vip.special.projects at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:11:54 UTC 2012

Hello Volunteers!

I hope everyone's first official month on campus is going well. I know I'm
already swamped, but I am hard at work finding some really creative
volunteer opportunities. BUT there is some good and not so good news. Good
news: I have some awesome volunteer events planned for October which I will
list below. Bad news: there really isn't any opportunities for September. I
don't know if it's the timing or something, but most events for September
were in the first weeks of September and we were still recruiting and
whatnot, so I am planning on just having the Meet-and-Greet sometime next
week, I think the 22nd seems to work for those who have replied, and
tye-dye is still a go? *PLEASE *let me know by 9/17 if you plan on coming
to the event on the 22nd. I think we may just hang out on the Quad and
tye-dye. I am thinking early morning/afternoon, so say 11? Again, please
let me know if that time works or not as we can work around that. This will
also be a good time to talk about some of the upcoming events listed,
especially about the LEGO teaching opportunity that I will mention at the
end

OK, so October events! There are 2 great opportunities in October, the
first being on 10/6 (the first Saturday) and 10/20.

*NOTE -->* to sign up for both these events volunteers must sign up with
the park district so they know how many volunteers they have
http://www.cparkdistrict.com/volunteerapp.htm

*PLEASE ALSO LET ME KNOW SO I KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE NEED RIDES *

*10/6: OBSTACLE MOBSTACLE!!!*
When: 9 AM
Where: Centennial Park (transportation will be provided at this point)
What: It's the annual Champaign park district tradition where students and
families try to do a 2 mile fitness challenge while having to overcome
obstacles, which volunteers will help administer. From designing the
obstacles to be particularly challenging to watching the participants get
muddy, this event is looking like it'll be a blast.
How: Please sign up online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ObMob2012 so
the Park District will know how many people to expect. HOWEVER: please also
let me know if you signed up as I need to know how many people to
transport.
If you have any questions about what exactly to wear/anything please email
me and I will contact the Park district
LET ME KNOW BY 9/21 IF YOU ARE COMING AND NEED A RIDE

*10/20: ZOMBIE RUN!*
When: it's from early evening to night, the signup survey will explain
What: This is a 2 mile course where runners will have to dodge zombies and
pick up survival supplies (So basically like any cheesy zombie movie ever
made). Volunteers can come dressed as zombie attackers or help set up if
you don't want to dress up
How: Again, sign up at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZombieRun2012

If you have any questions about what exactly to wear/anything please email
me and I will contact the Park district
LET ME KNOW BY 10/8 IF YOU ARE COMING AND NEED A RIDE

*EXCITING NEWS!*

In the past VIP Special Projects has been a very fluid volunteer branch of
VIP. I have been brainstorming for a while now on how to make our
opportunities a little more settled for those who want regular volunteer
hours at a non-conventional volunteer organization. I think I found the
answer. Starting (hopefully) in October, VIP Special Projects will be
teaming up with Orpheum Children's Museum to help run their monthly
science/learning workshops. They need 2 "instructor" volunteers to help out
with their LEGO club that meets on Sundays from 3-4:30 PM. The LEGO club
teaches the members basic engineering and design skills through hands-on
exploration. Each class allows its participants to build something new and
creative. For volunteers that want teaching experience or leadership
experience (As I am thinking of creating a position for a volunteer that
would like to head this event), this is a great opportunity. Please let me
know if you are interested so I can meet with you to talk about either
heading this event or volunteering monthly.
You can find more information here:
http://www.orpheumkids.org/programs/clubs/#213

Let me know what all your thoughts are!

Jessica

--
Jessica Gao  II  Special Projects Director 2012
Volunteer Illini Projects  II  University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign
vip.special.projects at gmail.com
*
If you like to be removed from this list serve, email me back at anytime.
Please Include any potential email addresses that you could be listed as in
the body of the email.*