[Volunteers-summer] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (07/2/03)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Jul 2 11:25:03 CDT 2003

Good Morning!

Table of Contents:

1. Court Appointed Special Advocate--CASA
2. Girl Scouts--Mentoring
3. Red Cross--"Together We Prepare"
4. Champaign County Nursing Home--Sewing
5. Champaign County Humane Society--Dog Walking

***

1.  CASA volunteers are ordinary people who are committed to doing what is
best for a child who has been neglected or abused. All our volunteers are
trained in courtroom procedure, social services, the juvenile justice
system, and the special needs of abused and neglected children. CASA
volunteers are appointed by judges to be a voice for these children in
court. The result is that a child is placed into a safe, loving home where
he/she can thrive. We welcome volunteers from all cultures, professions,
and ethnic and educational backgrounds.  Contact Heather Fox at 384-9065
for more information.

2.  Girl Scouts need your help! You can help us by helping yourself. How?
You can enhance your Mentoring, Management, Leadership, Teaching Youth and
Adults, Marketing, Public Relations, Technical, Computer, Web, or
Organizational Skills! You can help keep in touch with our hundreds of
leaders and thousands of Girl Scouts! You can help with computers and
technology! You can help keep up with what's going on in our Champaign,
Ford, Douglas, Piatt, Iroquois, and Vermilion Area! You can help Girls
Grow Strong! If you have a Knack for Finances, an Interest in computers
and technology, Enjoy working with youth, like to build your Leadership
and Managerial Skills, or if you simply know what is going on in your
community.... Girl Scouts is the place for you! We have one time and
ongoing positions for WOMEN AND MEN - concerned citizens - over the age of
18! Email us at deborah at greenmead-grlsct.org & let us know what YOU WANT
TO DO!!

3.  "Together We Prepare" is a disaster preparedness initiative of the
local Red Cross. Volunteers with this new program will help with community
outreach, to educate others about five key steps anyone can take to be
prepared. Opportunities are available in public outreach, publicity,
recognition, fund raising and special event coordination. There's
something for everyone, and time commitment is flexible. "Together We
Prepare" will kick off in July and run through the end of September.
Contact Andy Miller at 344-2800 for more information.

4. Come join our small team of creative sewers at the Champaign County
Nursing Home. Perform small repairs and labeling of our residents clothing
on Monday and Thursday.  Contact Kalah McGraw for more information at
384-3784.

5. Champaign County Humane Society is in need of Volunteers to walk the
adoptable dogs anytime Monday thru Saturday between 9 am and 6pm, and
Sundays between 9 am and 4 pm. There are no specified time requirements.
Contact Julie Keith at 344-7297 for more information.

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha & Sara
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp