[Volunteers-summer] [Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (07/8/03)

sarakhan sarakhan at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 8 12:46:44 CDT 2003

Good Afternoon!

Table of Contents:

1. G.A.M.E.S- Computer Science Camp
2. YMCA--Fun Bus
3. CASA
4. Girl Scouts--Mentoring
***

1.  The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Girls' Adventures in
Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (G.A.M.E.S.) Computer Science Camp seeks
five 8th or 9th grade young women to take part in hands-on sessions exploring
exciting introductory computer and video gaming projects.  G.A.M.E.S. Project
testing sessions will take place between 3-5pm the week of July 14-18 on the
UIUC campus.  Testing sessions will expose participants to basic programming
skills through fun and interesting activities.  Absolutely no experience,
background, or abilities in computers or video gaming required.   Snacks will
be served, and all volunteers will receive a U of I tshirt and other small
gifts for their time. Please email arickman at uiuc.edu or call 244-3517 by
Saturday, July 12 to sign up for one or more of the G.A.M.E.S. project testing
sessions.

2.  The Fun Bus Coordinator Assistant goes with the Fun Bus from community to
community helping the Coordinator with events such as kickball, miniature
golf, jump rope, sidewalk chalk fun, Karaoke, cook outs and much, much more. A
big part of your job is just to have fun with kids in communities that don't
have access to the YMCA or Rec. services. Volunteers are needed Jul 10, 2003
(9:00am-3:30pm), Jul 11, 2003 (9:30am-3pm), Jul 14, 2003 (9:00am-4pm), Jul 15,
2003 (9:00am-11:30am), Jul 15, 2003 (2:00pm-4:00pm).  For more information
contact Chadwick Howard (217) 359-9622.

3. CASA volunteers are ordinary people who are committed to doing what is best
for a child who has been neglected or abused. All our volunteers are trained
in courtroom procedure, social services, the juvenile justice system, and the
special needs of abused and neglected children. CASA volunteers are appointed
by judges to be a voice for these children in court. The result is that a
child is placed into a safe, loving home where he/she can thrive. We welcome
volunteers from all cultures, professions, and ethnic and educational
backgrounds.  Contact Heather Fox at (217) 384-9065 for more information.

4.  Girl Scouts need your help! You can help us by helping yourself. How? You
can enhance your Mentoring, Management, Leadership, Teaching Youth and Adults,
Marketing, Public Relations, Technical, Computer, Web, or Organizational
Skills! You can help keep in touch with our hundreds of leaders and thousands
of Girl Scouts! You can help with computers and technology! You can help keep
up with what's going on in our Champaign, Ford, Douglas, Piatt, Iroquois, and
Vermilion Area! You can help Girls Grow Strong! If you have a Knack for
Finances, an Interest in computers and technology, Enjoy working with youth,
like to build your Leadership and Managerial Skills, or if you simply know
what is going on in your community.... Girl Scouts is the place for you! We
have one time and ongoing positions for WOMEN AND MEN - concerned citizens -
over the age of 18! Email us at deborah at greenmead-grlsct.org & let us know
what YOU WANT TO DO!!

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha & Sara
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp