217Mafia-Hitlist: Quick Update, Listening Party Tonight 7PM-10PM @ IMC...

217mafia-hitlist at chambana.net 217mafia-hitlist at chambana.net
Wed Jan 16 13:30:58 CST 2008

Hey All,

Tired of only listening to what the herd thinks is best? Tonight and
every 3rd Wednesday of the month from 7PM to 10PM your local
Independent Media Center located at 202 S. Broadway Ave., Urbana, IL
61801 (the old downtown Post Office) will help you break from the herd
and invite you to bring a specially burned CD or custom iPod mix
(carefully chosen beforehand) and either something outstanding to
drink or something rather delicious to eat. We will provide the
outstanding audiophile-grade speakers that, when played at high
volume, will shake the walls and rattle the windows and peel back your
skin without getting all distorted and annoying, loud enough that the
sound they produce will easily prevent all discussion until the given
song has ended and everyone can breathe again and grab another drink
and say, Wow, what the hell was that?

It is called a listening party. It is a loosely directed but
passionately devised gathering held purely for the love and discovery
of music. New music. Old music. Loud music. It is about quality. It is
about range. It is, perhaps more than anything else, about surprise.
In other words, you do not bring some common hit song to the listening
party, some standard tune that everyone's heard a million times by an
artist that makes most people wince. In other words, you bring
something interesting, unexpected. It can be a mainstream band, but
the song should be sonically fascinating, well recorded, and somehow
unique.

The event is free and open to all ages. We ask that you give a
donation when we pass the hat/jar/cup/whatever around each night (and
promise not to give you crap if you don't), bring an open mind, bring
music, and if you are bringing children know they may get some
exposure. Drinks and food may or may not be present depending on if we
(that includes you) bring any. Be prepared to socialize and network
with people with a passion for music, art, culture, and our local
community.

See you there,
Dan