[Bikecoop-announce] Parade with an 11-foot long Wrench-Bike [was: Bicycle in the 4th of July Parade!]

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 2 17:17:25 CDT 2007

Hi Folks,

	Ever wanted to march in C-U's 4th of July parade with an 11-foot-
long wrench?  Better still, an 11-foot-long wrench merged  with a
cool bike?
Guess what, you have an exciting opportunity  to do just this -- the
Bike Project has put together a person-powered "bike float" for this
year's 4th of July parade!

	We could use a few folks who would like to accompany the Giant
Wrench-Bike:

	1. Walk with the Giant Wrench-Bike, maybe wear a greasy bike apron
(provided), brandish a chain whip menacingly, and wave to the crowd.
(Need 2 people, so EMAIL me --  barryi at ks.uiuc.edu -- if you can do
this.  First come, first served with a giant wrench)
	2. Ride your bike in front/behind/around Wrench. All bikes welcome,
weirder bikes better.
		a) Any bike must have a little 4th of July decoration.  Decoration
should be general 4th of July stuff, nothing bike co-op specific,
since the giant wrench will have giant writing on it. (No need to
email me for this option, just show up, but a mail would still be
helpful)
	b) Bike riders might want to bring normally-big bike tools / parts/
wheels to brandish too (nothing too scary..)  Contact Barry if you
want to borrow one from the shop for the parade.
		c) Still weighing  the option of bike grease "make up" for smudged
face and hands, or that complete co-op repair shop look.
	   	d) No under-12 children, unless sitting in an adult's bike seat.
		e) Your big chance to wear your BIke Project T-shirt!

	The essentials are:

	When to meet: 1:00 pm, July 4, 2007
	Where to meet : Parade "staging area".  Near south-east corner of
Lincoln and Green, Urbana. (The staging area may sprawl over a couple
of blocks, exactly location to be determined when CCB gets their
order in parade, but you should be able to spot the biking group
easily.  Or call Barry's cell at 217-419-4061.
	What to bring: your own decorated bike.  (Or just yourself if you've
contacted me about option 1., walking with the Giant Wrench Bike)

	We'll ride with Champaign County Bikes (CCB), so see their staging
info (and more) at
http://www.champaigncountybikes.org/4th_july_07.html

		Hope to see you there!

				Cheers,