[Bikecoop-announce] Help Needed to get Kids Bikes Ready for Donation

Ben Galewsky ben at peartreestudio.net
Mon Oct 8 08:53:39 CDT 2007

The president of the Prairie School PTA wants to come by the co-op on Sunday
to pick up some kids bikes that they will sell at low cost to pupils  at the
school. Prairie Elementary serves some of the poorest families in Urbana and
this represents a great opportunity to reach out to our wider community.

I identified about 20 bikes that are in good shape and could easily be
readied for a kid to enjoy. Mostly they need air in the tires, the
handlebars tightened up and the chain lubed.

To make this donation happen we need some volunteers to join me on Saturday.
I was thinking about starting at 1:00.

Please let me know if you can commit to doing this. If we can’t get
volunteers then I will have to tell the PTA not to pick them up and we will
have to send the bikes off to the scrap yard which would be a terrible
waste.

Most of this work is very low-skilled, but Barry has mandated that all bikes
going out have a mechanics seal of approval. So we also need the support of
an experienced bike mechanic to make this work.

Mack – you said at the last organizational meeting that you would look these
bikes over to see if any of them have fatal flaws. Last time I checked the
bikes were out on the ramp and I didn’t see any notes on them. Can you give
me an update?

Most of us remember the first taste of freedom that we felt in the saddle of
our bikes as kids. Please help some poor kids in our community enjoy this
same experience.

Ben

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:24 AM