[Bikecoop-announce] August 1st Bike Pickup - A bit of a snag. Need your help!

Anthony Cherolis acherolis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 15:57:47 CDT 2008

Hey everyone,

I've been coordinating the university bike pickup with Morgan, Tamara, and
Kenny (all with UIUC).  Unfortunately I've got a recently scheduled work
trip that will be putting me in CT for the next two weeks.  I won't be able
to physically be there during the currently scheduled bike pickup.  Also, I
won't be able to finish up pre-tagging the bikes (KEEP vs SCRAP).

Here's where things stand right now.

1)  About 1/2 the bikes have been reviewed and pre-tagged (KEEP vs SCRAP).

   - There are approximately 400 bikes in the UIUC warehouse, of which, 1/2
   are likely scrappers.
   - If someone is available on July 29th, they could meet Kenny at the
   warehouse and finish up the pre-tagging process.  *This could be 1-3
   volunteers.*
   - The warehouse is at the end of S. Wright Street.  Turn off St Mary's
   road and follow until it deadends.  Warehouse is on the right.

2)  The currently planned date for pickup is August 1st (Friday)

   - We will either need a bunch of personal trucks or one large Uhaul
   rental.
   - SCRAP bikes (and a large pile of locks) will get a ride to the salvage
   yard - any decent or especially useful parts can be stripped from these
   bikes.
   - A portion of the KEEP bikes will get a ride to The Bike Project and get
   tagged in as donations.
   - We can leave a large number of KEEP bikes in the warehouse space and
   pick them up as the numbers in TBP run down
   - *This will be a 8-10+ volunteer effort.*  The more hands the better.

3)  In addition to the bike pickup - we need to clear out space in the
co-op.

   - No personal bikes in the co-op!
   - Scrap run for junk bikes and part to make room.  This may be something
   that can be done on pickup day if we have enough volunteers.
   - Hang up wheels - scrap junk wheels and get rid of in scrap run.
   - *Would need 1-3 volunteers to help with this prior to the move*.
   - Everyone can help with this.  Keep this in mind when you are in the
   co-op space.  Tell folks that you would like their build-a-bikes out of the
   shop by Aug 1st if possible.

*Volunteers *- Right now I've gotten confirmation from 3-4 volunteers (Joel,
Emily, Todd Spinner, Fred) for moving day.  We need a lot more - both for
moving day and preparation work.  If you can volunteer, please reply to the
discussion list with what you are available to help with (#1, #2, and #3).

*Move day options* - If we don't have someone OK with owning the bike pickup
day, we could move it out one week and I can do it.  Contact me if you're
game for coordinating and I'll pass on all the contact info for the
University folks.

Thanks for your help!!!

Tony Cherolis
The Bike Project