[Bikecoop-announce] bicycle pick-up: we need your help

Fred Davidson fgd at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 29 05:22:52 CDT 2008

Hello bike friends in the C-U area:
(pls. post/circulate -- can somebody post this out to PCC and Illini 4K?)

The Bike Project Co-Op (Urbana) is set to receive its first of three batches of donated bikes from the University of Illinois.  We will also take some UIUC bikes to the scrap yard.

There are 400+ bikes.  Members of the co-op have been and will continue to go through them to sort out the keep and scrap-out bikes.

We are appealing for your help with this donation and scrap run.

When/date: This Friday, 01 August 2008
When/time: start between 8:30 AM and 9 Am and end not later than 4 PM
Where: Building 1037 on the UIUC south campus (*precise directions are in the P.S. below)
What: We need helpers and trucks.  We need people to do labor of helping move and load bikes, and we could use some more open-bed trucks or large vans.
What else: we will gladly accept donations of food and water as well.  It'd be cool to see a bike trailer arrive with a cooler in it and some snacks and drinks.
What else even more so: If there is a co-op member willing to rent a box truck (I recommend Penske on University in Urbana**), we can make a lot of progress on Friday taking large batches of bikes directly to the scrap yard as well.  I cannot do this, because I am myself bringing my wife's pickup truck.  You will be reimbursed by the co-op (through IMC paperwork and processing) for this rental.

RSVP appreciated to me, by side email -- especially if you can bring a vehicle and definitely if you are willing to rent one from Penske.

Fred (Thurs nite staff)

*p.s.
Building 1037 is located on "Wright St. Extended", which as the name implies, is where Wright Street resumes in south campus.  Go to St. Mary's Road (that's the road along the south side of the Assembly Hall).  Wright St. Extended is the first street east of Fourth street.  Building 1037 is at the corner of Wright and Hazlewood.  See the word 'HERE' on this map:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/fgd/www/UIUC-Bike-Pickup-Location-Bldg1037.jpg

If you ride out, you will be able to park your bike securely in a locked office in the same building - Kenny, of UIUC staff, will be there all day and can let you in and out of his office to get your bike at any time.  There may also be places around where you can lock it outside like to a light pole or something.

**p.p.s.
We do need a member willing to front the money and rent a box truck.
Penske's prices are much better than U-Haul.
Call them first to check availability.  You'll need to go get the truck that morning and return it that day, I suspect.  You can safely park or lock up a bike there at the Penske lot, no worries, I think -- but you can ask them about that.
If you do decide to rent one, reply-to-all to this message and let us know, so as to avoid duplicate rentals.
Penske Truck Rental
1211 East University
Urbana, IL 61802
(217) 352-4437