[Bikecoop-announce] 24-hour access policy change for new memberships: starting Sunday, June 8

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 7 16:40:42 CDT 2008

Hello,

  The long-discussed change in 24-hour shop access, for new annual memberships,
starts tomorrow, Sunday, June 8.

See http://thebikeproject.org/membership.html

  Full 24-hours/day, 7-days/week access to the repair shop will require a Bike
Project staffing commitment, or purchase of a UC-IMC membership.
(http://www.ucimc.org/info/donate)

  Members who don't opt for this will have access to the Bike Project 20 -- 50
hours per week: whenever the UC-IMC building is open (increasing significantly
by September 2008), plus additional hours we are setting up in co-operation
with other building groups and through expanded Bike Project staffing.

  Existing annual Bike Project memberships that start or have started  before
June 8, 2008 already include 24-hour/7-day access for the remaining term of
these memberships, in these cases UC-IMC membership is only encouraged, not
required.

  Just to be clear, existing memberships (including any purchased until 11:59
pm tonight, Saturday, June 7, 2008!) are not affected for the term of that
membership.

  We've been speaking to shop visitors about this for a couple of months now,
and had this in monthly meetings agendas and minutes (and much discussion) for
longer.  Changes to the website (with June 8 effective date) went up on June 5,
along with discussion list mailings.

  It's been great to the see the growth of the Bike Project since we started in
2006.  These new changes will help keep The Bike Project healthy as more
members join: still able to provide a teaching repair shop where anyone in the
community can learn to fix their own bike, a place to buy or build a good used
bike, and a place to promote and expand local biking in as many ways as we can!

            Have a great ride,

            Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz   Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364