[Bikecoop-announce] Ride of Silence and The Bike Project General Meeting

Anthony Cherolis acherolis at gmail.com
Tue May 20 11:08:38 CDT 2008

*Braking Bicycle News*

   - The Urbana Farmer's Market is upon us (Saturdays at Lincoln Square) and
   TBP will be staffing a table on five Saturdays - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR
   STAFFING.  These are the days we need help - June 21st, July 26th, Sept 6th,
   & Oct 4th.
   - TBP is restarting Mechanic's Tuesdays - 6-8PM.  In May we will be
   building kids bikes for Safe Routes.  Tuesday nights are meant
   for building / repairing bikes either the co-op or Safe Routes - no
   personal bike maintenance and no bike sales.   If you want to help with
   Mechanic's Tuesday, send a note to the discussion list (
   bikecoop at lists.chambana.net).  These aren't standard staffed hours, and
   we can't guarantee that someone will be there.
   - There will be another Key Class scheduled in June. - Keep an eye on the
   list for announcement of the date/time.

*TBP Summer Hours* - Sun 2–5PM / Thurs 6-9PM / Wed 6:30-8:30PM - Members
that would like to learn (or share) bike maintenance skills and help
theco-op as staff volunteers, should send an email to
thebikeproject at gmail.com.
**
*Calendar Events* -

*1) The Ride of Silence, Wednesday May 21st @ 7PM,* Starting at the corner
of First St. and St. Marys (7 mile loop)

   - A memorial ride for those killed while cycling.
   - Black arm bands to be worn in memory of those lost.  Survivors of bike/car
   collisions should wear red arm bands.
   - This is a slow and silent but powerful ride.  Memorial signs on pannier
   racks can help communicate the ride purpose.
   - Those that aren't participating in the ride are encouraged to attend a
   candlelight vigil at the ride start for the duration of the ride.
   - Flyer & cue sheets -
   http://www.champaigncountybikes.org/ride_of_silence_2008.pdf
   - Background info on the purpose of the ride -
*www.rideofsilence.org*<http://www.rideofsilence.org/>

*2)* *The Bike Project* *April General Meeting (Sunday May 25th, 5PM at The
Bike Project)*

   - All interested parties are invited.  Things are starting to calm down
   (fewer students) - so its a great time to get organized and reflect on
   the past year.
   - If you want to get more involved or learn more about TBP - this
is theplace to start.
   - We'll be talking about fixing up kids bikes for Safe Routes to School,
   finalizing the organization of the shop in the new space, future
   wholesale orders, and much, much more.
   - If you have agenda items, please edit the agenda located at:
   thebikeproject.org/wiki.

*3)* *Picking up Bikes from the City of Champaign** (Friday May 30th)*

   - A group of TBP volunteers will be organizing a bike pickup and salvage
   yard runs.  Lots of volunteers will be needed, especially if you have access
   to a truck or cargo van.
   - This is the best time to scope out new stock if you have been waiting a
   good bike.
   - Contact the discussion list if you are interested in volunteering -
   bikecoop at lists.chambana.net

*Tony Cherolis*
*The Bike Project*
**
*Located at:* 202 S. Broadway in the Basement of the UCIMC Building (old
Urbana Post Office Depot).  Access the space via the back stairwell in thealley.