[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project August Update

Anthony Cherolis acherolis at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 22:00:54 CDT 2009

Hey all,

Yeah for Fall temperatures in the summer!  Got a great ride in this morning
and then spent some quality time at TBP.  Hope everyone else had just as
good of weekend!

Couple of important updates:

1)  We're losing our grant funded PT employee next week.  *That means no
more weekday DIY Member hours during the day*.  For members without a key,
you can still come to any of the five chunks of time that are staffed by
volunteers.  These hours are listed on the website (www.thebikeproject.org).
If you are a keyed member that has paid a key deposit and been through an
orientation, you can still get into the shop during the day.

2)  August is a busy month.  Freshmen(women) are upon us and we'll be pretty
swamped during volunteer hours for the next 3-4 weeks.  If you've ever
considered paying a key deposit and going through orientation, this is an
excellent reason.  Once you are a keyed member, you can come in during off
hours (when the IMC building is open) and still get access to the co-op
space.  Its very convenient, and lets you avoid the crush.  See the website
for scheduled key orientation classes.

3)  *There is a General Meeting this Tuesday, August 25th at 6PM in the
co-op.*  There are lots of important items on the agenda.  We need members
and volunteers to be involved to keep the co-op fresh and serving your
needs.  Food will be provided!

4)  The Bike Project will be hiring an Americorp volunteer starting this
fall.  Look for expanded hours and programs to come along with this.
Details about this will be discussed at the general meeting on Tuesday.
Last day for applications for the position is August 25th, so hurry up if
you are applying!

5)  *Music and a Movie* - This Sunday, August 30th there will be music and a
movie at the IMC.  The movie is a bike culture documentary (Veer) based on
Portland, OR.  The music is by Schwinntonation - and they play music using
bicycle parts.  The music starts at 6PM, followed by the movie.  The music
is family friendly and children under 12 are free, BUT there is some adult
content in the documentary.  If families attend and only stay for the music,
there is a reduced ticket price ($3) per adult.  Otherwise tickets at the
door are $5 for members of The Bike Project, Champaign County Bikes, the
UC-IMC, and Prairie Cycle Club.  Non-members pay $10, but have the option of
getting a membership - and the discount - at the movie.  We'll see you there
and please help us get the word out!

Enjoy this oddly nice summer weather!

Tony
The Bike Project
Volunteer

If for some reason you want to get off TBP's announcement list (or sign up
friends!), here's the website -
http://lists.chambana.net/cgi-bin/listinfo/bikecoop-announce.