[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project Meeting announcement and Project Bike Etiquette

Anthony Cherolis acherolis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:58:14 CST 2009

Hey everyone,

There's a meeting this month.  Yes The Bike Project is still warm and busy -
even when its frozen and snowy outside.  Its a great time to brush up on
your mechanic skills and get you bike(s) ready for warmer weather and longer
days.  Some folks even ride year round.  Also need to touch base with the
list on some co-op protocol.  Since we all share the space, there are some
basic rules to follow so that everyone gets along and things go smoothly.

 *The Bike Project General Organizational Meeting*
*
*Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 5pm
You can view and add to the agenda on our wiki at
http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/orgmeet-2009-Feb-22-agenda

   - The biggest deal coming up is our March sort and scrap - and a big bike
   pickup from University of Illinois.
   - There's also been rumor of a group of volunteers interested in building
   kids bikes up for donation.
   - We're not far from submitting a grant application to the UofI with the
   goal of a Campus Bike Project.
   - Lots more on the agenda - show up and get involved!  Oh yeah - *there
   will be pizza.*

 *Bike Project Etiquette* - Don't strip parts or salvage parts from donation
bikes or project bikes!

   - Several times over the past couple of months there have been parts
   pulled from bikes being built for sale and build-a-bikes.
   - Please don't pull parts from bikes in the shop.  Pulling parts in this
   fashion can totally derail a bike build and inconveniences your fellow
   members.  If the bike doesn't have a scrap tag - NO STRIPPING PARTS!
   - If you want to scrap out an entire bike, please ask a volunteer staffer
   and check the tag first.  Scrappinig out bikes for parts is actually pretty
   fun and useful - *when done right*.
   - Otherwise, used parts come from the parts bins.  Please be considerate.

*Here's what can happen when the etiquette isn't followed:*

OK so I came in tonight to continue to work on a westpoint 24" wheel coaster
braked bike that I had disassembled the rear wheel on last week.  At the end
of last week I ziptied the rim by itself to the frame and tagged the bike
with a note saying that it was a project that I was working on.  I went to
grab the bike tonight and the rim was missing this is a vintage bike that is
mainly in one piece so I really want to preserve the classic look and style
plus having matching rims would really help so if you know where the rim
went please let me know I haven't been able to find it so far.

If someone knows where this wheel went, if would be great if you could let
Luke know (lbthomps1981 at gmail.com).  If you'd rather remain anonymous, just
tag it with Luke's name and leave it on the bench in the shop.

Hope to see everyone at the Meeting on the 22nd!

Tony
Sunday Volunteer and some other stuff