[Bikecoop-announce] Volunteer for Light Giveaway, Sept 30: Light the Night 2010

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 23 19:21:49 CDT 2010

Hello,

	Light the Night 2010 is coming, next Thursday, Sept. 30!

	Light the Night is a mass free bike light giveaway which aims to make
nighttime biking safer for everyone.
	We need lots of volunteers to install lights onto bikes....

Light the Night 2010
Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010 from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Location 1: Alma Mater (SE corner of Green St. and Wright, Urbana, IL)
Location 2: Corner of Illinois St. and Lincoln Ave. (near Illinois
Street Residence Hall) Urbana, IL

  You can sign up for a 2-hour shift here:
http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/light-the-night-2010

   With 4 hours to install 1000 free bike light sets, we'll need a
good-sized crew of volunteers.   This will be the third year in a row
for Light the Night; we've seen big improvements in safe night biking
around here, but there's still a lot of work to do.

    Volunteering is generally a lot of fun -- the crowds are very
happy to get free bike lights!   Anyone is welcome to volunteer (you
need not be a member of The Bike Project or CCB).

   There will be a couple of chances to go to a short training session
for those who haven't participated before;  we'll mail more info about
these as the event approaches.
Two chances for volunteer training:
- Mon., Sept. 27, 7:30 pm, at the Downtown Urbana Bike Project, 202 S.
Broadway, Urbana, IL (enter via south side basement door).
- Thu., Sept. 30, 2010, 3:15 pm--3:45 pm, at Alma Mater (SE corner of
Green St. and Wright, Urbana, IL)

   We'll be installing, completely free, roughly 1000 sets of the
Planet Bike Blinky Safety sets, the same kind as we sell at The Bike
Project -- that makes 2000 blinky lights, counting front and rear.
Don't forget to tell your friends about the giveaway, but remind them:
lights are only installed directly onto bikes.
  "If you want free lights, bring your bike."
  See the event flyer at:
http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/file/view/light-the-night-flyer-2010-sept-30.pdf

     Light the Night 2010 is a program of Campus Area Transportation
Study partners and affiliated groups.

	Hope you can volunteer!

		Cheers,

		Barry Isralewitz
		Volunteer, The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign

--
Barry Isralewitz
3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign