[Bikecoop-announce] New IMC hours, monthly meeting

Phil Graff pmgraff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 23:16:30 CDT 2011

Hello Bike Project friends,

We have a pretty big announcement to make, as we are changing some of our
hours at the IMC location.  We think that you will like the change, as you
will still have the opportunity to work on your bike, but we are offering
some new types of hours:

*New Hours*

1. *Staffed hours*: These are the same hours as we have normally operated in
the past, and we may also call them *Open Hours*.  We aim to have at least
two volunteers during these hours, and you will be able to get some
mechanical assistance when you bring in your bike.  This is also a great
time to make your first visit if you are not a member, as we will be able to
offer assistance.  During this time we will offer bike and parts sales, so
if you are looking to do a little shopping, you can stop by during this
time.

2. *DIY hours*: DIY stands for Do-It-Yourself.  During these hours, we
cannot guarantee that we will have any mechanics available to help you out.
This is a great time to come in and work on your bike if you know what you
are doing, or are willing to look through some of the repair books in our
library (or like to gamble and maybe meet another member who is willing to
help you out).  During this time we will also be offering sales, so if you
need to buy a bike or whatever -- stop on by.  If you are looking to visit
our shop for the first time, it is okay if you just want to look around, but
if you need help with a minor bike repair you should wait for a Staffed/Open
Hours shift.

3. *Mechanics/Wrench night*: **NEW OFFERING!  This is a night for members
only.  The main rule for this night is *shop builds only*.  A shop build is
a bike we repair to sell.  Why would you want to come on this night?  Maybe
you are interested in becoming a volunteer, but the other nights are too
hectic to learn anything.  Show up on this night and our current volunteers
will help show you the rules of the shop!  Maybe you are interested in
repairing your own bike, but would like to learn on a similar bike before
tearing into yours -- show up on this night a volunteer will help show you
how to make the repair you want to make to your own bike, but you will learn
on a shop build.  It's kind of like choosing your own one-on-one
instruction, but you are helping The Bike Project out by working on a shop
build.  Maybe you signed up for a work equity membership (where you
volunteer 8 hours in exchange for a membership) -- this is a great
opportunity to get your hours in while working on shop builds.  Or maybe you
just want to hang out with some volunteers because we are a fun group of
people.  That is okay too!  Note that we will be offering sales during these
hours as well.

One other thing that we have done is leave Monday nights open for classes
and meetings.  Now you won't have to worry about Campus Bike Project being
closed once a month for our members' meetings.  Soon we'll begin to offer
classes, so if you like some structure to your learning, we will be able to
accomodate!

*Campus Bike Project hours will remain the same*, but here are the new hours
for the IMC/Urbana location (notice that we've standardized an evening shift
as 6:30 to 9:00 -- we hope this helps you free up a few brain cells to use
for more important information):

*Urbana/IMC*
Sunday: 2:00 to 5:00 -- DIY hours
Tuesday: 6:30 to 9:00 -- Staffed/Open hours
Wednesday: 6:30 to 9:00 -- Mechanics/Wrench night
Thursday: 6:30 to 9:00 -- Staffed/Open hours
Saturday: 2:00 to 5:00 -- Staffed/Open hours

These hours will be in effect beginning Sunday, April 24.
*
Monthly Members Meeting*
Mark your calendars for Monday, April 25.  We will be hosting our monthly
meeting at the Urbana/IMC location at 6:30 p.m.  Please show up if you can
make it.  The agenda is available at
http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/2011-Apr-25+Agenda.  Feel free to add
any agenda items.

Thanks!