[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project news and events: July/August

Phil Graff pmgraff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 15:39:12 UTC 2012

Hello cyclists!  Several bike-related events over the next month we wanted
to share with you:

*CU Safe Routes to School fleet maintenance*
To all new and long time staffers
Come out and Teach or Learn the ABC Quick Check!  At This Wednesday's
Mechanics Night from 6:30p-9p (tonight, July 25 at Urbana/IMC)

As 2012 Community Partner with Krannert Center OUTSIDE at the Research Park
concert series, TBP is coordinating bike fleet maintenance for
Champaign-Urbana Safe Routes to School's Bike Rodeo at the August 3rd
event.
http://www.krannertcenter.com/performance.aspx?id=201251125547902128174106178

The ABC Quick Check is one of the easiest and best standards we can impart
to folks who come in to learn about their ride during open hours.
So come out, get your hands dirty and practice ~ Looking forward to seeing
you at the shop!

*Cycling Savvy*
For those of you wanting more tips on how to cycle safely in traffic and
feel confident using your bike to go anywhere you want to go, another
CyclingSavvy opportunity is coming up this weekend. Part 2 "Train Your
Bike" (bike handling skills) will be offered this *Friday evening,
July 27 *from
6 to 9pm in Champaign. Anyone can register and take this part of the
course. Part 3 "The Tour of Urbana" (traffic cycling skills) will be
offered this *Saturday, July 28 from 8:30 am to noon* in Urbana. Cyclists
must have completed both Parts 1 (classroom session) and Part 2 (bike
handling skills) to take Part 3.

Online registration for Parts 2 and 3 is
here<https://floridabicycle.wufoo.com/forms/cyclingsavvy-champaignurbana-20126b/>.
*If you want to do Part 3 but haven't done Part 1 yet (classroom session),
contact me directly about the possibility of taking Part 1 this Wednesday
evening, July 25, in Champaign.**
*Gary Cziko, gcziko at gmail.com

*Monthly Meeting*
Our general membership meeting will be held on Monday, July 30 at 6:30 in
the Urbana/IMC shop.  We will have a good discussion, as we've been working
hard this summer to set up our working agreement with the University for
the Campus Bike Project space, upgrade our sales kiosks, and set our
organization up for growth.  Agenda at
http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/2012-July-30+Agenda

*Krannert Center OUTSIDE at the Research Park, TBP Community Partner!*
~Come on out for an evening full of bikes, picnicking, and music~
*Friday August 3rd.* A Free giveaway sponsored by Champaign Cycle for all
who bike to the concert.  Green Fair starts at 6p, with Bike Rodeo for
kids.  Opening band 6:30p, Headliner 7:30p.  For more information
click thislink<http://www.krannertcenter.com/performance.aspx?id=201251125547902128174106178>

*C-U Across the Prairie*
Prairie Cycle Club’s Annual Cycling Extravaganza, *C-U ACROSS THE PRAIRIE
RIDE*, this year coincides with downtown Urbana’s annual Sweet Corn
Festivalon Saturday Aug 25.

*Ride choices:* 10 mile leisurely ride (great for families), 28 mile (one
loop), 35 mile (a second loop) and 63 mile (both loops) over flat to gently
rolling terrain
Bagel breakfast, prizes and surprises, and SAG vehicle support until 2PM.
* A Prairie Cycle Club led group ride over the ten mile route will depart
at 9am
For more info: http://prairiecycle.wordpress.com/cu-across-the-prairie
-2012/  <http://prairiecycle.wordpress.com/cu-across-the-prairie-2012/>

*Mustache Ride*
Save the date: Saturday August 25 (after the CUAP ride - sometime in the
afternoon/early evening).  Champaign-Urbana's #1 mustache-themed bike
ride/alleycat/party for three years in a row will be returning for a fourth
year.  Details will be made available soon.

Thanks,
Phil
Volunteer, The Bike Project