[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project: January 2013

Phil Graff pmgraff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 02:15:09 UTC 2013

Coming up at The Bike Project:

*Monthly Members Meeting*
The January monthly meeting will be held this coming Monday, January 28 at
6:30 pm at the IMC location.  We'll be voting on new steering committee
members, discussing the progress of a north Champaign shop, and other
things.  The full agenda is at
http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/2013-Jan-28+Agenda

*Friday Rides*
Almost every Friday at 5:30 there is a chill community camaraderie bike
ride leaving from the Campus Bike Shop.  This is a good opportunity to meet
other cyclists, learn new routes around town, get comfortable cycling in
traffic, and have fun.

*Request for Volunteers*
We're looking for volunteers to regularly help with our open hours.  You
don't have to be a mechanical expert -- we can provide you with the
training you need to help with basic repairs -- the most important part is
helping to welcome and show visitors around the shop.  We are especially in
need of volunteers for our Sunday afternoon hours -- 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Please email thebikeproject at gmail.com if you are interested.

*Personal Items in Shop Space*
Just a reminder that our policy on personal items in the shop limits
storage to two weeks (14 days).  Any items left for longer than that will
be assumed to be donations.

*Class Series*

Do you ride a bicycle but don’t know how to fix it?

Do you want to have power over your form of transportation?

Have you ever worked on your bike a little but want to learn more?

Or do you simply like working with your hands, using tools, and you like
bikes?

“*So You Want to Work on Bikes*” is a six-part course designed to teach you
about different types of  bicycles, their components, and how to do most
adjustments, maintenance, and overhauls on your bicycle’s major
systems—everything from changing flat tires to headset overhauls. This
course is meant for the determined novice or someone who has been tinkering
for a while but wants to learn more. This course won’t make you a
professional mechanic, but it can teach you a lot to get you going down the
road of bicycle

This six-week course begins on February 6th and will be held on Wednesday
nights, from 6:30 to 8:30pm at the Campus Bike Shop (600 E. Pennsylvania
Ave, in the Natural Resources Garage), and will be taught by the Campus
Bike Shop Manager*. There are only five spots in the course, and it’s first
come, first served until all five spots are filled*. There is a $30 course
fee, with all the money going towards The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign.
Only those serious about doing all six classes should sign up*. If you sign
up and pay, then you are expected to attend all six classes*. This course
will be held again starting March 27th and you may sign up for that series
now too (again, first come first served).

If you wish to register please come by the Campus Bike Shop to sign up and
pay the deposit as soon as you can.

For more information contact Ken Sutto, Campus Bike Shop Manager, at
217-300-0296 or kensutto at illinois.edu or come by the Campus Bike Shop
during open hours (2 to 6pm Monday through Thursday and 2 to 5:30 Friday).

Thanks,
Phil
Volunteer, The Bike Project