[Bikecoop-announce] Volunteer for Light the Night 2015!

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 24 12:10:27 EDT 2015

Hello,

	Light the Night 2015 is coming, this September 9!

  With 3 hours to install over 1000 free bike light sets, we'll need a good-sized crew of volunteers.   This will be the eighth year in a row for Light the Night. We've seen big improvements in safe night biking around here, but -- in part thanks to the excellent and continuing trend toward more bicyclists on the streets --  there's still a lot of work to do.

  You can sign up for a 1.5-hour or 3-hour shift here:

http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/light-the-night-2015

  Volunteering is generally a lot of fun -- the crowds are very happy to get free bike lights!

Light the Night 2015
Free Bike Light Giveaway
Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015 from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m (volunteering from 3:45 to 7:00 pm).
Location 1: Alma Mater (SE corner of Green St. and Wright St.) Urbana, IL
Location 2: Corner of Illinois St. and Lincoln Ave. (near the Hallene Gateway) Urbana, IL

Please volunteer for the 3:45 pm to 5:30 pm "early shift" if you can: lines are longest then; we're aiming to have more volunteers for the early shift to meet the demand.
Early-shift volunteers: please note the 3:45 pm start time (i.e. not 4 pm); getting volunteers organized fifteen minutes early will help us get a jump on long lines.

	Optional training sessions:
---- There will be two chances to go to a short training session for those who haven't participated before, those who want a refresher, or those who want to practice with this year's models of reflectors and lights:
- Mon., Sept. 7, 2015, 6:00 pm--6:45 pm, at the Downtown Urbana Bike Project, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana, IL. (enter via south side basement door).
- Wed., Sept. 9, 2015, 3:15 pm--3:45 pm, at Alma Mater (SE corner of Green St. and Wright, Urbana, IL)
Training will cover reflector install, difficult light install cases, educational materials, and more.   (Battery install is not needed with the lights we are using this year.)

	About the giveaway:
  We'll be installing, completely free, over 1000 "be seen” silicone-strap light sets;  that makes over 2000 blinky lights, counting front and rear.  Don't forget to tell your friends about the giveaway, but remind them: lights are only installed directly onto bikes. "If you want free lights, bring your bike."

    Light the Night 2015 is a program of Light the Night Organizing Group partners and affiliated groups.

	Hope you can volunteer!

		Cheers,

		Barry Isralewitz
		Volunteer, The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign

--
Barry Isralewitz
3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign