[Bikecoop-announce] Volunteer for Light the Night 2018!

Barry Isralewitz barry.isralewitz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:36:41 UTC 2018

Hello,

	Light the Night 2018 is coming, this September 20!

 With 2.5 hours to install over 1,100 free bike light sets, we'll need a good-sized crew of volunteers.  This will be the eleventh (!) year in a row for Light the Night. We've seen big improvements in safe night biking around here, but -- in part thanks to the excellent and continuing trend toward more bicyclists on the streets -- there's still a lot of work to do.

 You can sign up for a ~1.5-hour or ~3-hour shift here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sNqSgQ5ODJRYbQ4UbjxU-YaQGDQ1IKD5b611CbtIDwU/edit?usp=sharing

 Volunteering is generally a lot of fun -- the crowds are very happy to get free bike lights!

Light the Night 2018
Free Bike Light Giveaway
Thursday, Sept. 20, 2018 from 4:30 to 7:00 p.m (volunteering from 4:15 to 7:00 pm).
   Location 1: Alma Mater (SE corner of Green St. and Wright St.) Urbana, IL
   Location 2: Corner of Illinois St. and Lincoln Ave. (near the Hallene Gateway) Urbana, IL

Please volunteer for the 4:15 pm to 5:30 pm "early shift" if you can: lines are longest then; we're aiming to have more volunteers for the early shift to meet the demand.
Early-shift volunteers: please note the 4:15 pm start time (i.e. not 4:30 pm); getting volunteers organized fifteen minutes early will help us get a jump on long lines.

	Optional training sessions:
---- There will be two chances to go to a short training session for those who haven't participated before, those who want a refresher, or those who want to practice with this year's models of lights:
- Mon., Sept. 17, 2018, 6:00 pm--6:45 pm, at the Downtown Urbana Bike Project, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana, IL. (enter via south side basement door).
- Thu., Sept. 20, 2018, 3:30 pm--4:15 pm, at Alma Mater (SE corner of Green St. and Wright, Urbana, IL)

We will run a light-assembly / battery-install event (plus a second if needed) to get lights ready in advance:
- Fri, Sept. 7, 2018, 6:00 pm--8:30 pm. Downtown Urbana Bike Project, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana, IL. (enter via south side basement door)
- Possible second session: TBA

	About the giveaway:
 We'll be installing, completely free, over 1,110 "be seen" light sets -- some Planet Bike LED light sets, and some silicone strap LED light sets; that makes over 2,220 blinky lights, counting front and rear. Don't forget to tell your friends about the giveaway, but remind them: lights are only installed directly onto bikes. "If you want free lights, bring your bike."

   Light the Night 2018 is a program of Light the Night Organizing Group partners and affiliated groups.

	Hope you can volunteer!

		Cheers,

		Barry Isralewitz
		Volunteer, The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign
--
Barry Isralewitz
barry.isralewitz at gmail.com