[Bookstoprisoners] let's get some grant money!

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 07:52:21 CST 2005

I think I have found a likely grant that we might have a good chance of
getting... to help us buy legal books for inmates.

We'll need a team to do this as the grant deadline is Dec 15. !!!
Grant amounts are $1000 - $15,000

You can read about the grant from Columbia Law School Public Interest Law
Foundation here:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/pilf/grants.html

We will need a  data compiler. Someone to go through all of our files ASAP
and find and make copies of letters where there are requests for law books.

We will need someone (preferrably two- four people) to do data entry so that
we can get all of our past records in the database... so we have hard
numbers as to what services (#of books, # of prisoners) we have provided in
the past.

We will need someone to research how law libraries in jails work so that we
can prove we are not duplicating efforts. (including how much access
prisoners actually have to law libraries in places like Pontiac).

We will need someone to research what the best legal books would be for the
inmates that we serve and what the costs are.

We need someone to write the grant... by coordinating all of this
information.

What do you think? Can we do it???

Sandra

See my art at www.spiritofsandra.com