[cgfc] Board meeting minutes, 5/16/03

tanyalee tanyalee at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 16 16:20:32 CDT 2003

Hi, folks!  Profuse apologies for being a month late in sending these out.
Here they are below and attached.  --Your secretary, Tanya

CGFC Board Meeting Minutes
May 16, 2003, 4:30pm
Conference Room

Present: Bob (facilitating), Eric, Tanya (taking minutes), Tim, Sehvilla, Mike
U.

1. Discussion on upcoming Special General Membership Meeting and
Special GMMS in general

Bob reviewed how he thinks the Special GMM (now scheduled for 5/18)
came about.  The agreed-upon process was not really followed.

Bob proposed clarification for the process of setting up Special GMMs.
The bylaws state that "at least 10 days notice will be given" for such
meetings; we should add that texts of proposals should be advertised at
least that early as well.

We then discussed whether or not the Board should get proposals to be
presented at GMM from the coordinators before the GMM is advertised.

Bob noted that no matter what policy we document, it won’t work unless
there are good interpersonal relationships.

Eric worried that he often feels out of the loop and wants to be notified of
things, even if they are not formal proposals; feels that sometimes
proposals seem to pop up out of nowhere.  Bob suggested that Eric could
talk to Clint once a week for a 5-10-minute update.  Mike agreed that that
would be in tune with the way the coordinators operate.  Eric agreed it was
a great idea.

Bob also wondered if there was a way to improve how we get information
from Lisa.  Mike pointed out that Lisa may not have a 100% accurate view
of finances at any given time.

[At this point we got off topic and discussed how we could afford hours
increases for coordinators.]

[In a (also rather tangential) discussion of finances, it was felt that we
should have an annual audit.  Mike noted that we should have enough
data to be able to see trends.]

There was general concern about whether or not the co-op could afford
the changes being proposed at the Special GMM.  There was concern that
Lisa might be unable to attend, and concern that we had not seen an up-
to-date budget report.  Bob suggested a trial basis: that we could pass the
temporary increase even if there was no budget document presented,
provided that hard numbers that look good are presented in July; Mike
thought coordinators would be amenable.  Tim and Tanya were still very
concerned about passing a proposal that does not include numbers.
Tanya could see Bob’s suggestion as a possible compromise.

Outcomes:
Eric or Bob (?) will talk to Clint about GMM proposal-related policies.
Tim will talk to Lisa tonight.
Tanya will create a condensed version of the board’s proposal process to
be posted in the store—after she gets back from vacation.

2. Bob presented a revised proposal for the Board’s role: "to ascertain
(from the membership), define and articulate a long-range vision and
long-range goals for the CGFC; to have vision and goals approved by
membership; to oversee their implementation through the creation of
organizational policy" (see agenda for full text).

The Board was generally in favor of this.

Bob and Sascha will refine a membership survey together and bring it
back to the Board for review.

Tanya reiterated strong feelings about offering the survey to as many
people as possible first, and only then targeting specific individuals to
interview.   (discussed at last meeting)

Survey could be disseminated on paper in store and on "survey
monkey"—an online survey tool that OJC Technologies can provide
access to.

Eric suggested some easy-answer questions (i.e., multiple choice
instead of essay-style).

The Board agreed that we would take the survey results very seriously,
although it’s not a voting process.

Mike urged that all aspects of the process be open to membership
participation.

Meeting adjourned on time.