[cgfc] IMPORTANT: text of proposals

Bob Cook bcook at ojctech.com
Tue May 13 15:49:10 CDT 2003

Here is text for three of the four main proposals that are under
consideration at the meeting. I will post the text for the fourth
proposal as soon as I have it available in electronic format.

Thanks,
-Bob

1) Proposal to pay the store operations coordinators for the hours
   they are present in the store.

I propose that the CGFC increase the hours paid to the Store Operations
Coordinators to a total of 39 hours, representing the hours the store is
opened, not including 6 hours to serve as the volunteer commitment for
these two coordinators.  The paid hours would be divided according to
which days the Store Operations Coordinator and Assistance Store
Operations Coordinator choose work.  This represents an increase of 15
paid hours.

Rationalization

It has previously been expected that both store operations coordinators
would only be .on call. for parts of their shifts.  Experience has shown
that the store operates much more smoothly when a store operations
coordinator is present, for the following reasons:

.   New members can receive an introduction to CGFC from someone who can
    answer any questions
.   Problems that arise on a sometimes-hourly basis can be solved by
    someone with a continuity of experience in the store.
.   Workers can be assigned tasks as situations arise.
.   When workers can.t make their shifts, the store is still open.
.   When vendors/farmers show up, they can have a check written to them.
.   Customers expect there to be someone in the store with the authority
    to answer questions.
.   When things are slow, store operations coordinators can create store
    signage, procedure manuals, etc.

But of course, the main reason is that the store operations coordinators
are already doing this.  They are in the store or office during the
shifts they work, and the expectation exists for this to be the case.
So we feel guilty when we aren.t, and we thus work without pay.  There
is no way to empower volunteers to do all of the above items.  Things
fall through the cracks.  The store runs better when a store operations
coordinator is present.  They are doing so, and they should be paid for
it.

2) Increase the hours paid for the Produce Coordinator

    Text for this proposal is coming soon.

3) Creation of Facilitator Position

I propose that the coordinators make the position of Facilitator of
Coordinator Meetings a paid position, at 6 hours a week.  The
facilitator could optionally work three hours as a volunteer to receive
the coreworker discount.  This would not be coordinator position; the
person in question would not be a part of the consensus, but rather
would facilitate the consensus.  This position would entail:

1)  Creation, maintenance, and modification of an evolving set of
    documents and procedures concerning the CGFC coordinator meeting
    process.
2)  Selection of the agenda for each meeting from pending proposals
3)  Preparation of meeting packets, and distribution/ archival of those
    packets.
4)  Facilitation of the weekly meeting.
5)  Recording/transcription of the notes of each meeting, and keeping an
    archive of these notes.
6)  Serving as a contact point for members wishing to make proposals to
    the coordinators
7)  Educating interested members about the process.
8)  Meeting on an ongoing basis with Coordinators, Board Members, and
    General Members to discuss concerns and suggestions about the process.

Rationalization

I (Clint) originally took on the facilitator position as a volunteer
task, but is consuming much more time and energy than can reasonably be
expected of a volunteer.  The meeting  itself, the transcription of the
notes, the preparation of the agenda, the meetings with individual
coordinators to ascertain the best way to approach difficult issues, the
background research on facilitation, mediation, and process, and the
meetings with board members and general members to discuss issues
relating to process, amount to a lot of time and focus.  Jill had
originally proposed to pay me for this work, and the other coordinators
had informally agreed, but I declined.  As the job has increasingly
grown in commitment, I have regretted that decision.  I think this
position is crucial to having a functioning group of coordinators, and I
creating it as a paid position ensures it will remain a priority for me,
and that in the event I am no longer available for this position, that a
suitably qualified person can be found to take on the role.

4) Coordinators Hourly Payroll

I propose that we pay the coordinators the actual hours worked, with a
cap for each of the other coordinators based on their approved payroll
numbers for their positions.  For finance and ordering, these are
unchanged.  For the store operations coordinators and the produce
coordinator, these caps would be based on the numbers hopefully approved
at the special GMM.  Rollover of hours can occur up to the caps within a
given payroll period or the next, i.e. at most one payroll period later.

Rationalization

At times when it is possible for the operations coordinators to work
fewer hours than the payment cap, the co-op would be paying for actual
hours worked.  Potentially this could trim payroll hours in a way that
makes sense for the store and the coordinators.  The rollover allows
vacations to be taken, or for heavy workload weeks to be averaged with
easier weeks.

--
* Bob Cook              OJC Technologies                 *