[cgfc] BOD meeting minutes...

Eric J. Menzel emenzel at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 7 09:53:49 CST 2004

here are the minutes of our recent meeting...

BOD Meeting
01/06/2004
In attendance: Kate, Amy, Tim, Eliana, Mike, Eric, Karina, Jill
Taking notes: Eric

Jill Update: Announces that a long time co-op member (Ellen) passed
away and a dinner will be held at her house.

Karina: Welcome back!

Bylaws update:
Kate: Talked to Laddie and set up sending in the bylaws to him via
email.  Dave W.’s comments were assessed and added in.
Tim: Eric, Kate, and I amended bylaws slightly.  Laddie said, because
we are not incorporated as a co-op, the version of the bylaws is
meaningless.  So, we should change to a co-op to make the editing of
the bylaws much easier, not to mention put us in line with our
ideology.  The difference of a co-op and a non-for-profit is a tax
issue.  A co-op does not have to pay taxes on equity payments.  The
change has to be done through the membership before the bylaws can be
accepted.  Also, if we are a co-op, any of the IDF’s requests can not
be done without OK of the membership.  The IDF should be notified.
Karina: a meeting is coming and she will notify them.
Mike: need to note to the IDF that we hope to remain a program of the
IDF and lay out the meaning of becoming a co-op in terms of our
relationship.  Also, we should talk to the IDF board personally about
this to ameliorate the situation.
Tim: Eric will talk to coordinators about incorporating as a co-op and
what it means for bylaws.  We must write equity stock receipts to
members when they pay their equity.
Mike: will this change affect the 501C3 tax status potential for the
co-op?
Kate: the IDF wants us to say to some effect that the co-op is a
program of the IDF within the bylaws.
[This issue will depend on the IDF’s reaction to us incorporating as a
co-op and want to put their stamp on our bylaws or to put their stamp
on our mission statement.
Amy: thinks the disentanglement of the tax status is a desire of the
IDF more than it will be in their interest to object to our becoming a
co-op.  Advises Karina to address the IDF accountant to emphasize the
tax issues.]

Board Procedures doc:
Eric will send out for comments

Lisa and Adam progress:
Eric: Not too much has occurred due to holiday and Adams absence.
Status is unknown
Tim: We need to make a strong stance…if Lisa does not come through we
cannot let this issue linger on.
Amy: we need to keep working with Lisa.
Eliana: we need status reports from Adam and Lisa
Karina: Amy, will you speak with Lisa (yes).  Eric, will you speak to
Adam (yes)

[Eliana has to leave….our next meeting is set for the 18th at
4pm!….Kate suggests we do the board poster then]

Singing break! --- a fantastic rendition of “The Boxer”

GMM:
Setting time and agenda: potluck at 5 and meeting at 6!
Potluck will be a contest!! To win a “prize”!!!
Eric will notify coordinators for approval of agenda and their additions
Kate will make a phone sign-up list and notification sign in store
Amy will do email and have notice posted on web site
Agenda:
1.	Incorporation and bylaws (depending on IDF reactions) and/or board
update
2.	Fundraiser update – ask coordinators about this and see who might
give this update
3.	Budget
4.	Pass around the phone list
5.	Board elections

Board Terms:
We need to do an election of 4 seats….Karina, Tim, and Eric must
re-apply, plus one empty seat remains.

Tim returns with news from Laddie –
•	we do not currently hold 501C3 status and we would not have it if we
incorporated as a co-op
cannot be a program when we are an incorporation ourselves, but we
should work with the IDF (i.e., we should put in the statement about
our support of the IDF mission into the bylaws)