[cgfc] Type of organization

Bill Strutz billstrutz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 16:54:23 CST 2004

     An organization can have a 501(c)3 operation and a non-501(c)3 operation
at the same time.  CGFC could be a nonprofit, a coop, and a
charitable-nonprofit all at the same time.

     I know this because the Champaign Lions Club has a 501(c)3 entity for the
kind of charitable activities you associate with Lions (receiving donations and
helping the blind.)  We renew that "corporation" annually with the State of
Illinois.
     We also register with the State of Illinois as another entity, and that
entity handles all the non-charitable activities (the activities that are
essentially fraternal or social.)
      Being registered both ways, we can keep everything strictly separate.
      We do need to have two separate bank accounts.

      The "stock certificate" issue:  My membership card says, "Amount equity
paid, $50".  Everybody must have one, so that seems to meet that particular
requirement.

       -- Bill

=====

PO Box 2292,Champaign IL 61825-2292
(217)337-0055 home; (217)244-2055 work wstrutz at ncsa.uiuc.edu
* Newly married (3/22/03) to the award-winning writer, Jane Heaton
* Biology and astronomy are important, but where would we be without geography?