[cgfc] Joint BOD-Coord Meeting 06/09/2004

Eric J. Menzel menzelej at mac.com
Thu Jun 10 18:46:10 CDT 2004

Here are my notes from the meeting:

Attendees: Jeanne, Jill, Lisa, Brandy, Beth S. (facilitating), Eric
(note taking), Molly, Mike, Kate, Eliana
Agenda:
1. Evaluations
2. IDF Meeting
3. GMM Dates
4. Board Recruitment
5. Jeanne's Leavin'

1. Evaluations:
-Due by June 16th in the BOD box.
-The evaluations will be addressed at the next BOD meeting on June
18th.  also, a proposal will be discussed at this meeting for a
follow-up on the evaluation process so that specific steps will follow
for each given evaluation - what the BOD will do to enforce change or
encourage more good work from paid staff.
-This proposal will be brought to the next joint meeting to share with
Coordinators.

2. IDF Meeting:
-In attendence - CGFC: Mike, Molly, Jill, Tim, and Stephanie (in
spirit) - IDF: Claudia, Jen, Aaron.
-IDF concerned about all areas that would affect their tax status and
uncertain about both what the coop's activities involve and how those
activities could impact their status (same old story).
-One main point of concern was that the coop sell our products at a
lower than market price and sell to low-income people, and that this
activity be our main focus.
-A point discussed was whether or not the coop could obtain cooperative
tax status and remain a program and/or remain in the building.  Jen
said she didn't think this was a possibility.  Claudia followed up that
having a separate 501(c)3 status would be beneficial to our staying in
the building and remaining a program.  Jeanne - sounds like the IDF is
more concerned with what they would like to have happen rather than
what is legally possible.  In other words, our following the law to
obtain a particular tax status that could still be compatible with the
IDF's tax status would not necessarily be good enough for them
ideologically.
-Lisa says we have filed state taxes for unemployment, which is in
essence saying that we are our own entity, but we have never filed fed.
taxes.  However, we are registered as a corporate non-profit.  We are
intending to file as a corp. non-profit, but are held up by Laddie a
bit.  Lisa will urge him to file as soon as she has a chance.  It is
decided that Lisa should write a letter to the IDF explaining our
intentions to file and how this will relieve them of their obligation
to file for us (which they do not want to do).  This action is
essential for us to gain autonomy over the coop's resources.  The
letter will be submitted to the group (BOD and Coords) and comments
submitted to Lisa before sending this to the IDF.  We will ask that all
IDF BOD members sign the letter to ensure that it is documented that
all have seen it.
-It should be noted that the issue of reassuring the IDF will continue
even if they are agreeable to our filing under an independent tax
status.

3. Board Recruitment:
-due to the fact that many of the current BOD members' terms will be
ending and few members will remain (likely only Tim, Eric, and maybe
Kate...), an all-out effort to recruit new members for the 08/15 GMM is
suggested.  Jeanne hints that she may be interested in running!
-Ideas include creating a packet with information on what a BOD does
and what this means for the coop, as well as the application and
election process.
-Also, it is agreed that all present will ask 5 people they know if
they are interested in running.
-Furthermore, the packets will be put in the store for use for
recruiting both core workers and shoppers that may be suited to the job.
-The applications will be due in the store July 22nd.  This early date
is so that those who will be gone in August will have a chance to read
the applications and be able to vote absentee.  Work will need to be
done on this process in order to allow both candidates and voting
members to participate during this vacationing time of year.
-The packets will be worked on at the next BOD meeting on June 18th and
should be in the store for distribution by June 21st!

Jeanne's Leavin':
-Jeanne's last day is July 30(???sorry, I wasn't sure on this date???).
-She has taken a job as a family advocate!
-She may be on the Board
-It is thought that the evaluation process will show the way for
improving the alloted hours and the scope of the outreach coordinator
in general.
-A hiring process is anticipated with Jeanne's departer and the outcome
of her evaluation.

Next Joint Meeting:
JUNE 30th

Beth Simpson gone until the last of June and again from July
12th-August 14th or 15th