[cgfc] Thanks Common Ground Food Co-op Members!

BL W bwcgfc at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 12:42:16 CST 2005

Hi Co-op Members!

I wanted to let you know that I've given my notice at the co-op and my last day of employment will be the 13th of November, 2005.

Over the past six plus years of my employment at the co-op, I've enjoyed making certified organic produce accessible to the CGFC community and to the larger community of Champaign-Urbana who have joined the co-op over the years.

Supporting the organic certification process is integral to its existence and recognition nationally and internationally.  Though I am a supporter of local farmers who use organic practices, though who are not certified, supporting local certified organic farmers above local non certified farmers is a way to support, on a local level, the organic certification process which we depend on to regulate the non local certified organic farmers who we buy from when the local season is over.  Another way of supporting the organic certification process is by taking a stand politically as a small business by giving an incentive to the non certified local organic farmers becoming certified organic.  One such incentive could be requiring that they be certified organic to sell to the CGFC.  This may be a long way off for the co-op, given where it is at as a business, though it's a possible goal to strive for as an effort to prevent the organic certification process from becoming superfluous to
 the overall organic industry.

I want to take this chance to thank Mike Ullman as well as the rest of the membership who have been very supportive and relentless in their praise of my efforts with managing the produce department at the co-op.  Though at times it has been challenging overseeing this business, what the staff has accomplished in the time that I've been with the co-op has been very fruitful.  I'm very optimistic about the future of this small business and will continue to support it as a member.

Thanks and warm regards,

Brandy Watts
CGFC Produce Coordinator