[cgfc] Organics Standards Weakened by Backroom Deal

Molly mollystentz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 13:32:21 CST 2005

Hi Co-op members,

You may have been following the news from the Organic Consumers
Association regarding   the proposed serious changes to our national
organic standards. Well, apparently they just happened. Large
corporate organic producers were successful in convincing congress to
add loopholes to the USDA regulations that govern the production and
labeling of organic products. The result is that our standards have
been weakened to grant concessions to these large producers. A summary
is below.

If you find this as upsetting as I do, please contact me to determine
what can do as consumers who care about the integrity of our food.

-Molly