[cgfc] Alert! Forthcoming Program and an Opportunity

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 10:41:27 CDT 2005

Greetings Co-op Folk:

In this week's e-newsletter, we mentioned CGFC is working with Oxfam to
bring a speaker to C-U. We have more information now- here's the blurb from
the flyer you'll be seeing around the co-op and around town:

Farm and trade policies in the United States and European Union are creating
hardships for family farmers across the world. In particular, the decisions
we make as consumers have an impact on farm policy that in turn has an
impact on individuals across the world.

Mr. Soloba Mady Keita, a cotton farmer from Mali, will be touring Illinois
to speak about his life as a farmer in West Africa. Come find out how US
policies can be changed to help people everywhere live in dignity, and what
you can do to help.

WHEN: Wednesday, September 14, 2005
WHERE: Illinois Disciples Foundation Building, Bondurant Room (upstairs),
610 E. Springfield Ave. in Champaign
TIME: 7 PM

There will be refreshments provided. Come hang out, come listen, come
participate; this is some particularly relevant business right now,
especially given the upcoming vote in Congress...

... which brings us to the opportunity part of this missive:

WANT TO BE HEARD IN WASHINGTON?

Oxfam is having a DC lobby day in Sept (8-9) on the issue of commodity
payment limits and are looking for someone from Tim Johnson's district in
Illinois to attend. Oxfam will be paying for all travel, etc.

By September 16, Congress will vote to cut $3 billion from the USDA
Agriculture budget. The $3 billion will come out of either the Commodity,
Conservation, or Nutrition programs. Right now it looks like a large
majority of the cuts will come from the Nutrition program (food stamps,
school lunches, WIC, etc.) and we are working very hard to stop that from
happening. On Sept. 7 - 9, Oxfam America is flying in people from all
over the country to DC to lobby their congress members.

If you would be interested in attending or learning more, please contact
Katie Danko at Oxfam:

Katie Danko, Illinois Field Organizer
Oxfam America
637 S. Dearborn, Third Floor, Chicago, IL 60605
office: 312.212.1765 mobile: 312.493.9598
kdanko at oxfamamerica.org

Hope to see everyone on the 14th!

Thanks,

Lisa Bralts-Kelly/CGFC Outreach