[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #7

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 20:36:53 CDT 2005

GREETINGS!

Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this
missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also signed up to be
on the CGFC
mailing list. If you aren't interested in receiving these updates, please
email
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. A paper version is posted on the bulletin
board in the
store.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to
relevant news items/political actions, and other bits and pieces worthy of
mention. If you
have anything of a similar bent you think members should know about, please
email links to
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****APPLE CIDER ALERT! If you're interested in ordering some unpasteurized,
locally-sourced
(Shadycrest in Arthur)) apple cider, please get your order in at the store
by 5 PM Friday,
September 9. Price is $4/gallon and will arrive in the store between 3-6
this Saturday.
Please be ready to pick up your order sometime Saturday, Sunday the 11th, or
Monday the
12th.

****CGFC will be participating in the Volunteer Fair at the U of I on
Friday, September 9
from 10 AM - 2 PM. Please contact Lisa at the email address above if you're
interested
in representing CGFC at this event.

****Three More Urbana Farmers' Markets left for us! CGFC's scheduled to
appear every
Saturday in September. If you're interested in taking a shift at our
centrally-located/often
stopped-at booth, please email Lisa at the address above and you can find
out what's available. Thanks!

****In Case You Missed it #1:"Common Ground Food Co-op is collecting aid to
send to
Hurricane Katrina victims.

We will be sending money to Second Harvest, which is the national network of
food banks in
the US. Second Harvest is coordinating millions of pounds of food aid which
they are
trucking down to the areas in need so that people can eat.

They have established a special "Hurricane Katrina" fund and will use 100%
of money
collected to get food to people in need. They have requested monetary
donations to
facilitate the transportation of food from food banks and grocery stores
across the country
down to the areas in need. They have set up a warehouse in the Baton Rouge,
LA to act as
their Emergency Operations Center and to receive and distribute food.

Please consider donating to help people in this severe national crisis.
For more information on Second Harvest's efforts, please see their website
www.secondharvest.org <http://www.secondharvest.org> or call their Chicago
office at 1-800-771-2303 x207.

If you want to donate via the store, we're collecting money at the register.
If you'd rather
donate over the phone or online, please contact Second Harvest directly.

Second Harvest's latest press release is here:
http://www.secondharvest.org/site_content.asp?s=742.

Thanks."

****In case you missed it #2: "The Co-op's delivery schedule is changing
with our primary
grocery supplier, United Natural Foods. We will be getting our deliveries
Monday
and Thursday mornings. None of our current workers who help unload the
trucks can make it at
those times and United is unwilling to give us a different delivery
schedule." Who out there
can step up for some early morning exercise AND worker hours? Let Molly know
- you can reach
her at the store by calling 352-3347.

EVENTS OF INTEREST:

****CGFC/OXFAM EVENT ALERT!!!!!****

Farming in other countries: A West African perspective

Farm and trade policies in the United States and European Union are creating
hardships for
family farmers across the world. In particular, agricultural subsidies
hamper efforts to
reduce poverty in poor countries, while undermining rural life here in the
US. Mr. Soloba
Mady Keïta, a cotton producer from Mali will be touring Illinois to speak
about his life as
a farmer in West Africa. Come find out how US policies can be changed to
help people
everywhere live in dignity, and what you can do to help.

WHEN: Wednesday, September 14, 2005
WHERE: Common Ground Food Co-op
TIME: 7 pm (note time change from last week's newsletter)

The talk will be in Bondurant Hall at the IDF, which is upstairs;
refreshments will be
provided. We're working with Oxfam! Huzzah!

**** THE KRISHNA DINNERS RESUME! Monday, Sept. 12 (5:30-7:30pm) @ The Red
Herring

Race over for a 6 course, all-you-can-eat meal for only $5 (...and bring a
friend). Also,
how would you like a FREE Krishna Dinner? Come help us serve the dinner for
one hour and
we'll give you a free one! To get on the schedule, call 367-2340.

INFO OF INTEREST:

********Also Katrina-related:

FARM AID ACTIVATES DISASTER FUND FOR KATRINA VICTIMS

south, Farm Aid has announced the activation of their Family Farm
Disaster Fund to Fund. They are encouraging donations so that
farm families can get the help they need to recover from the
hurricane and continue farming. "This is a moment when each of
us can take stock of what we can offer to everyone affected by this
catastrophe, and Farm Aid is in a position to act for farm families,"
said Farm Aid President Willie Nelson. "Crop and livestock losses
will be massive. Many farm buildings were destroyed in the storm
and ensuing flooding. A disaster of this magnitude can be a
breaking point for many Southern family farms." Individuals can
contribute to Farm Aid¹s disaster fund on-line at
www.farmaid.org<http://www.farmaid.org>
or by calling 1.800.FARM-AID. In addition to funds raised by
people across the country, Farm Aid has sent an initial $30,000 to
several of its partner family farm organizations in the southeast.
The funds will allow the Federation of Southern Cooperatives and
the Louisiana Interchurch Conference to immediately begin
assessing needs in these states and providing emergency relief.

****Great website details low, medium, and high-impact ways to change your
lifestyle and
live more sustainably:

www.dailygranola.com <http://www.dailygranola.com>

****"Traditional assumptions about addressing poverty treat the environment
almost as an
afterthought," said Jonathan Lash, president, World Resources Institute
(WRI). "This report
addresses the stark reality of the poor: three-fourths of them live in rural
areas; their
environment is all they can depend on. Environmental resources are
absolutely essential,
rather than incidental, if we are to have any hope of meeting our goals of
poverty
reduction."

Rest of article is here:

http://www.greenbiz.com/news/news_third.cfm?NewsID=28699&CFID=5213101&CFTOKEN=74713804

**** In the We Knew That Already Department: "Switching to organic foods
provides children
"dramatic and immediate" protection from widely used pesticides that are
applied on a
variety of crops, according to a new study by a team of federally funded
scientists."

More:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2002468605&zsection_id=2002107549&slug=organic03&date=20050903

****TERMINATED! "On September 1, 2005 the California Assembly passed SB 965
banning the sale
of sodas and other sweetened beverages in high schools. The Assembly took
this historic step
one day after passing SB 12, a bill that bans junk food sales in California
schools (K-12).

With the enactment of these bills, which are expected to be signed by the
Governor,
California has made the most impressive gains in school nutrition since
school lunch was
introduced after World War II."

Article:

http://www.publichealthadvocacy.org/limits/index.html

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such

knowledge.

Thanks and look for #8 same time (more or less) next week!

::compiled by Outreach Co-coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly::