[cgfc] CGFC Produce News 9.5.05

BL W bwcgfc at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 11:57:47 CDT 2005

CGFC PRODUCE NEWS  For The Week of September 5, 2005

New This Week:
Jonagold Apples
Tsugaru Apples
Prune Plums
Red Cabbage

Local:
Red Onions ("Naturally" Grown)
Garlic ("Naturally" Grown)

Availability Update

I have been ordering cucumbers all summer and the quality has consistently been poor, so I have had send them back each time they come in.  We usually get our cucumbers from Blue Moon farm throughout the summer, though, this year they didn't grow them.  So, for those reasons we have not had cucumbers very often this summer, though, we do have some nice quality cucumbers in the store now.

In terms of apples, the price has been high for the past few months because we have been getting them from New Zealand.  They haven't been available in the states because the stored supply sold out in the late spring, as it always does.  The good news is that new crop apple season has begun and so now three of the four varieties of apples that we carry are from Washington.  We are phasing out of Braeburns since they are coming from New Zealand and they will be replaced by Granny Smiths until they become available again in the states.  The price of apples has gone down on those varieties that are coming from Washington.  As make our way through the season, the price will continue to drop.

Please Note:
All of the produce at CGFC is Certified Organic unless specified otherwise.

If you have any produce questions or requests, you can e mail me at this address or put a note in my box in the CGFC office.  Thanks.  Brandy Watts CGFC Produce Coordinator/Buyer